1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Degree for Financial Jobs.

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    I'm an Undergraduate student and need help deciding on what to major in. I'm currently a double major in Statistics and Finance. I would like to work up in New York as a analyst or Hedge Fund manager of the sort. However, hedge fund manager might be unrealistic so an analyst job is probably my best bet. With luck I could slowly work my way up the corporate ladder.

I really really enjoy am intereste in physics and more specifically astrophsyics. I've recently read many things about how financial insitutions are looking for more and more physicist to break down complex financial problems. Sense I enjoy both phsyics (astrophysics) and the stock market (analyst side of things) I'm at a crossroads and not sure what to do. If I'm dead set on stock market work Then Statistics and Finance would be a good combination. However, physics open alot more doors such as Law school which I have thought quite a bit about but never seriously. I also could go into some sort of engineering masters program.

I'm looking for direction on the job opportunities in physics and astrophysics. Also wondering how the job outlook is for physics degree in the financial market. If I could get in put from people that are actually in the physics field it woul greatly help. Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2
    sure why not:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/studen...inance-big-money-seeks-big-brains-400360.html

4. Nov 28, 2008 #3
    Right now zero, but that doesn't have anything to do with having a physics degree.

5. Nov 29, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I think you also need to distinguish between jobs that require bachelors and jobs that require advanced degrees.

6. Nov 29, 2008 #5
    Actually I know its not zero on the job outlook. I've seen many jobs in the financial market that ask specifically for math degrees or physics degree. From what I've read it has to do with the complexity of some of the derivatives.

Also, Yes I will definitely be going on to graduate school in whatever my degree is in.

7. Nov 29, 2008 #6
    My question is, are you certain that you want to take up a financial/analyst/hedge fund job, seeing how you described your interest to be in astrophysics?

8. Nov 29, 2008 #7
    I have interest in both.

9. Nov 29, 2008 #8

Well, all majors pretty much open up a door for Law, it just depends on your GPA/LSAT score.

I guess my only point is that most people who are considering these sort of analyst/hedge fund positions are enticed by the money/prestige and not so much the actual work involved. Where exactly would you want to work, for both the hedge fund/analyst positions and the astrophysics route? What would you do with a law degree?

10. Dec 1, 2008 #9
    price, I am not in physics and not working in finance - finishing up my BS Math.

I will pass on some of the general advice I got from a friend who is employed on wall street, and he is lucky enough to be with a employer that did not go under. His credentials include BS Math, and MS Financial Engineering (Mathematical Finance). Becoming a quant is very hard and it goes a long way if you graduate from a known program because you can secure internships after graduation from masters. You should learn as much math as possible because you can always pick up the business side of things on your own. You should be "exceptional" in C++ programming. They want to hire you for your quantitative abilities. Regarding my friend, after undergrad he ended up becoming an entry level actuary and passed about 5 exams in 4 years. This was essential for him since he was graduating with a math background and needed experience. Not to mention he was able to pay off his student loans and save up nicely. He was able to distinguish himself, and ended up at the Stanford. From there it was just all about working hard and securing an internship upon graduation. He says going to a top program opened up A LOT of doors.

11. Dec 3, 2008 #10
    Finance? Now? Better have a plan B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?