1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics degree vs. Engineering vs. Applied Math

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Pros and cons of each? I want my future to have something to do with Math [ it's my passion duh ], but I'd rather study an application of it than in it's purety [ though that's still not out of the question ].

So right now I'm considering getting a Physics degree, or maybe an Engineering [ still not sure what - anyone help? ] or an Applied Math degree [ with a specialization closely related to the previous two ].

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Of course I'm also considering a double major.

Although what to major on is still a question for me.

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    Quick answer... Do what you love. To be successful in school, you're going to have to spend a LOT of time working on it.

Myself, I'm a full-time software developer with degrees in Physics (undergrad) and Applied Math (master's). I have never found the lack of an "engineering" degree to be a handicap in my work. Of course, your mileage may vary.

5. Mar 21, 2009 #4

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I would love to do ANY of these. I guess my question would be more about my future after studying. I'm planning to continue on to graduate school, but other than academia work, what other opportunities are there?

I'm leaning towards:

1. applied math (any ideas for a double major?)
    2. physics (with a math double major)
    3. engineering (unsure what speciality, again with a math double major)

6. Mar 21, 2009 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on the school, but doing a second degree to go with an engineering degree is a pretty tall order

7. Mar 21, 2009 #6

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Yeah that's what people are telling me. So if I do take the engineering path it would probably just be that or a minor in something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook