1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Degree without A2 maths?

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    Hi All

Background info first: I`m currently in Year 14, studying A2 Physics and A2 Chemistry. I am also studying a full A2 course (AS and A2 Simultaneously) in one year. I have an A2 in applied mathematics at Grade A, which includes Calculus, Hypothesis testing, Data Analysis and Algebraic manipulation. I am applying to study an Undergraduate Degree in Physics.

I am currently struggling to stay on top of the work flow from the 4 subjects, and am worried that by studying the full A2 maths, I may not achieve the grades in the other two subjects. If I were to study only AS Core mathematics, would I still be considered for a place at a university, seeing as the applied mathematics covers a large amount of the same material?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2
    I did not do A2 maths and in order to study physics at university I have to do a foundation year offered by my university.

It is highly unlikely that you will be accepted onto a university physics course without A-level maths or an equivalent.

Get in touch with some admissions tutors and inquire about how they view your applied mathematics qualification.

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the advice, I`ll call some of my choices tonight and see what they say :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook