1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics - EE - Audio Engineering

  1. Oct 29, 2013 #1

    I am a physics undergrad currently applying to grad schools in physics with primary interests in experimental AMO and condensed matter. However, I also have some interest in areas of EE. Specifically, those are the areas of close proximity to condensed matter physics and DSP(digital signal processing) because of my music interests.

    My question is about DSP. Is that a currently vigorous research branch? Which section of EE studies and researches such things? How feasible is it to go into DSP in grad school without EE undegrad degree?

    Any help, advice, link, suggestion, etc is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2
    Why dont you just switch to EE?

    If you are going to do DSP in grad school then you arent going to be going to a grad physics program so it would make more sense to do an EE undergrad if you are going to do an EE grad program.
  4. Oct 29, 2013 #3
    Because I only have one semester left?
  5. Oct 30, 2013 #4
    Just see if you can get some of the basic EE classes and then apply to graduate EE programs, a physics major shouldn't hurt you
  6. Oct 30, 2013 #5
    Do this. You should start transitioning as soon as possible while fulfilling your reqs to get out.
  7. Oct 30, 2013 #6
    And lastly, my school has neither EE program nor any EE courses. That is really what drove the question in the first place. If I could take courses formally, I would probably have done it by now without asking here.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook