EE courses for designing audio amplifiers and speakers?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in learning electrical engineering for DIY audio equipment and possibly pursuing a career in the field. They are seeking advice on which courses to take and whether to pursue a Bachelor's or Master's degree. The conversation also includes some recommendations for specific courses and a suggestion to attend a convention for audio professionals.
cjv998
Hi everyone. I've got my BS in physics, but I don't know much about electrical engineering. I've had a passing interest in do-it-yourself audio equipment for quite some time (designing and building your own speakers and amplifiers), and I've finally decided to get serious about it.

So, it seems that learning some electrical engineering would greatly benefit me. I know what the various passive components are (inductors, resistors, capacitors, etc.), and I'm vaguely familiar with transistors and diodes, but I'd love to know more. I still don't fully understand why the various LRC filters function the way they do, and designing a discrete audio amplifier at the transistor level is like black magic to me, as are power supplies (I do remember discussing bridge rectifiers back in college, but I've forgotten the details). I'm not sure which courses in electrical engineering would benefit me. (Also, I'm not opposed to branching out a bit in EE, if an area sparks my interest.) I assume you typically cover the behavior and characteristics of LRC filters in a Circuits class? What about designing a power amplifier? (I know there are entire textbooks just on this topic.) Learning a bit about DSP would also be cool.

(As a side note, I've even debated returning to college and getting a full bachelor's degree in EE, since the employment prospects look more promising. So it's definitely a field that interests me.)

I'd greatly appreciate any input you can provide. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yep you'll learn RLC filters in the beginning circuits class, but it can take a few classes before you get to really interesting and useful stuff.

When I was an undergrad, Intro to Circuits was purely passive networks, starting with R working our way up to RLC. The second class will get into op amps and more detail about amplifiers and filters. You'll find these classes more difficult than they should be because you don't use the frequency domain (Laplace analysis) right away.

Your third class with be an intro to transistors which will be highly relevant for audio circuits. Your fourth class will start getting fun with more complex filters and amplifiers. My fifth through maybe tenth classes were great because we got into integrated circuits.

Have fun!

PS If you go back to school get an MS, don't bother with the BS in EE. It will only take you less than a year to get the requirements for an MS, so you can get one in 2.5 years or so.

998, i think that if you survived Physics with a B.S. and you can do tensor math or Hamiltonians or whatever, you have more mathematical sophistication than most EEs (students or practitioners).

while i might agree with not bothering with a BSEE, you do need to take some undergrad courses in Linear System Theory (nowadays they might call it Signals and Systems) and maybe Electronic Circuits and maybe Communication Systems and maybe DSP.

also, if you have the money and the time, if you want a career in audio, you should attend the AES convention in NYC next month. getting lodging won't be cheap.

the audio industry could use a few more competent physicists with electronic and DSP chops, IMO.

L8r,

r b-j

Sounds like Circuits and Signals & Systems would be a good start, along with the introductory course on transistors. No surprise there I suppose.

Any other comments on skipping the BS and going for an MS? I was under the impression that the bridge courses I'd need for an MS would take like 4-5 semesters to complete due to all the prereq's (it's only like 24 credit hours, but the prerequisites mean you can't condense them down neatly - at least that's the way it works at my last college).

analogdesign: What sort of upper-level undergrad courses did you take that went into integrated circuits? I'm just asking because my college doesn't seem to offer a lot of that stuff.

rbj: I'm curious, why do you suggest Communication Systems? Also out of curiosity, what is your background (physics, EE, etc.)?

Last edited:

As a fellow scientist, I completely understand your interest in designing and building your own audio equipment. It's a fascinating and rewarding field that combines physics and electrical engineering. To answer your question, there are certainly courses in electrical engineering that would be beneficial for designing audio amplifiers and speakers.

Firstly, I would recommend taking a course in Analog Electronics. This course will cover the fundamentals of transistors, diodes, and other active components, as well as their applications in amplifiers and filters. You will learn about common amplifier configurations such as common emitter, common collector, and common base, and how to analyze and design them. This will provide you with a solid foundation for understanding and designing audio amplifiers.

In addition, a course in Digital Signal Processing (DSP) would also be beneficial for designing audio equipment. DSP is essential for processing and manipulating audio signals, and it is used in everything from audio effects processors to noise cancellation systems. You will learn about techniques such as filtering, modulation, and Fourier analysis, which are all important in audio signal processing.

As you mentioned, a course in Circuits would also cover the behavior and characteristics of passive components, including inductors, resistors, and capacitors. This will help you understand the function of LRC filters, which are commonly used in audio equipment.

In terms of designing a power amplifier, a course in Power Electronics would be helpful. This course will cover the design and control of power electronic circuits, including power supplies and converters. You will also learn about different types of power amplifiers and their applications.

Lastly, if you are considering pursuing a full bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, I would highly recommend it. Not only will you gain a deeper understanding of the principles and theory behind audio equipment, but you will also have access to hands-on labs and projects that will allow you to apply your knowledge and skills in a practical setting.

In summary, I would recommend taking courses in Analog Electronics, Digital Signal Processing, Circuits, and Power Electronics to gain a strong foundation in designing audio amplifiers and speakers. And if you have the opportunity, pursuing a full bachelor's degree in electrical engineering would be a great way to further your knowledge and skills in this field. Best of luck on your journey!

1. What are the prerequisites for taking EE courses for designing audio amplifiers and speakers?

The prerequisites for taking EE courses for designing audio amplifiers and speakers may vary depending on the specific course and institution. However, a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and circuit analysis is typically required. Some courses may also require prior knowledge of electronics and signal processing.

2. What concepts are covered in EE courses for designing audio amplifiers and speakers?

EE courses for designing audio amplifiers and speakers typically cover topics such as circuit analysis, electronic components, operational amplifiers, signal processing, and filter design. Students will also learn about audio signal characteristics, amplifier design techniques, and speaker design principles.

3. Are these courses more theoretical or hands-on?

EE courses for designing audio amplifiers and speakers can vary in their approach, but most will have a combination of theoretical concepts and hands-on projects. This allows students to not only understand the theory behind audio amplifier and speaker design, but also gain practical skills by applying their knowledge in real-world scenarios.

4. What software or tools are used in these courses?

Some common software and tools used in EE courses for designing audio amplifiers and speakers include circuit simulation software like LTSpice, MATLAB for signal processing, and CAD software for speaker design. Students may also use electronic components and testing equipment such as oscilloscopes and function generators.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who take EE courses for designing audio amplifiers and speakers?

Graduates of EE courses for designing audio amplifiers and speakers may pursue careers in the audio engineering industry, working for companies that design and manufacture audio equipment. They may also work in research and development, designing and improving audio technology. Other potential career paths include working as a consultant or starting their own audio equipment design business.