Physics? Engineering? Buisness? Philosphy?

In summary, the individual dreams of becoming an inventor and entrepreneur and possesses strengths in ambition and a desire to learn. They prefer to spend their spare time reading and watching informative content, doing online programs, and attending seminars. They are interested in physics, engineering, philosophy, and entrepreneurship and value the fundamentals and critical thinking skills gained from these subjects. However, they have not yet decided on a specific problem to focus on and lack certain skills. They believe they need to improve their STEM skills and learn the language of business. They also plan to self-teach themselves intangibles, sales, management, and investing, but may need to attend university for engineering. They are Canadian and willing to do whatever it takes to achieve their goals, including double
Alpha God
Hello!

My dream is to be a Inventor and entrepreneur.

My biggest strengths are my ambition and desire to learn.

I rarely hang out w/ friends, go to parties etc.
Instead, in my spare time I like to read & watch informative content, do online programs, seek people I can learn from, attend seminars, etc.

I am willing to read and or work for 15hours a day.

Sometimes I get so caught up in what I'm doing I forget to eat and drink water.

I'm really interested in Physics, engineering, philosophy and entrepreneurship.

I love physics because it teaches the fundamentals and gives me a better understanding of why things happen.

Philosophy because of the creativity and critical thinking skills I gain.

Engineering because I believe it will allow me turn my thoughts and ideas into reality and create something tangible. (I like Electrical and mechanical)

Entrepreneurship because I like the lifestyle, doing things on my terms, leading, helping people and of course the rewards that come with being successful.

My problem is I haven't completely decided what problem I want to focus on and I still very much lack in skill.

I believe I need to improve my STEM skills as well as better learn the language of business (Economics, finance, accounting.) that way I'm prepared for when a opportunity arises and I decide what problem to focus on most.

Certain things can be easily self taught such as intangibles, sales, management, investing.

Engineering,on the other hand might be best I got to University for I don't know any engineers personally who are willing to teach me.

I'm Canadian
I want to go to University
I'm willing to do whatever it takes no matter the difficulty, double major I don't mind

What programs and courses should I take?

Electrical Engineering?
Engineering physics? - Is this a good program?

Double major Engineering and Commerce?

Or could I do some courses on commerce on the side Without double majoring?
Would this be enough?

I should also learn coding.

Physics and Engineering Double major?

Bachelor in physics masters in engineering?

Can I triple Major?

Is it worth taking philosophy can I take philosophy on the side?

My ego tells me that if I take philosophy and Physics I will become a genius, greatly increase my existential intelligence and will come out better understanding myself and the world around me. I thought maybe I'll be capable of deciding what problem in the world requires my focus. Is this true?

Also i value my time I don't want to spend 10 years in university.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Alpha God said:
Hello!

My dream is to be a Inventor and entrepreneur.

My biggest strengths are my ambition and desire to learn.

I rarely hang out w/ friends, go to parties etc.
Instead, in my spare time I like to read & watch informative content, do online programs, seek people I can learn from, attend seminars, etc.

I am willing to read and or work for 15hours a day.

Sometimes I get so caught up in what I'm doing I forget to eat and drink water.

I'm really interested in Physics, engineering, philosophy and entrepreneurship.

I love physics because it teaches the fundamentals and gives me a better understanding of why things happen.

Philosophy because of the creativity and critical thinking skills I gain.

Engineering because I believe it will allow me turn my thoughts and ideas into reality and create something tangible. (I like Electrical and mechanical)

Entrepreneurship because I like the lifestyle, doing things on my terms, leading, helping people and of course the rewards that come with being successful.

My problem is I haven't completely decided what problem I want to focus on and I still very much lack in skill.

I believe I need to improve my STEM skills as well as better learn the language of business (Economics, finance, accounting.) that way I'm prepared for when a opportunity arises and I decide what problem to focus on most.

Certain things can be easily self taught such as intangibles, sales, management, investing.

Engineering,on the other hand might be best I got to University for I don't know any engineers personally who are willing to teach me.

I'm Canadian
I want to go to University
I'm willing to do whatever it takes no matter the difficulty, double major I don't mind

What programs and courses should I take?

Electrical Engineering?
Engineering physics? - Is this a good program?

Double major Engineering and Commerce?

Or could I do some courses on commerce on the side Without double majoring?
Would this be enough?

I should also learn coding.

Physics and Engineering Double major?

Bachelor in physics masters in engineering?

Can I triple Major?

Is it worth taking philosophy can I take philosophy on the side?

My ego tells me that if I take philosophy and Physics I will become a genius, greatly increase my existential intelligence and will come out better understanding myself and the world around me. I thought maybe I'll be capable of deciding what problem in the world requires my focus. Is this true?

Also i value my time I don't want to spend 10 years in university.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!
Welcome to the PF.

What universities have you applied to so far? It sounds like you are very motivated, and that is good.

Look at universities where you don't have to declare your major until you start your junior year. That way you can take Physics and Math and Engineering courses to help you figure out which path you enjoy the most. Philosophy is usually in a different area of the University, so that may be off the table if you decide to enroll at university in STEM.

Likes ISamson and Alpha God
Philosophy is the odd-man out in your group of interests, and probably is not what you want to pursue. You seem to be interested in a subset of philosophy that can be pursued on the side without a major in it.

Likes symbolipoint and Alpha God
Dr.D said:
Philosophy is the odd-man out in your group of interests, and probably is not what you want to pursue. You seem to be interested in a subset of philosophy that can be pursued on the side without a major in it.

Thank you very much I agree w/ you

I am now thinking engineering, computer science and physics are most beneficial.

I was thinking about double majoring in electrical engineering & physics and then picking up programming on the way.

What do you think?

What I think really does not matter; it is what you think.

I find it somewhat amusing that you have suggested a double major, and this seems to be quite a common idea among those who have yet to enter college. Most actual college students find it quite enough to complete a single major, but those with no experience often think in terms of double, or even triple, majors. Wow! to have that energy level again ...

Likes berkeman and Alpha God
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What universities have you applied to so far? It sounds like you are very motivated, and that is good.

Look at universities where you don't have to declare your major until you start your junior year. That way you can take Physics and Math and Engineering courses to help you figure out which path you enjoy the most. Philosophy is usually in a different area of the University, so that may be off the table if you decide to enroll at university in STEM.

Thank you very much for your response!

I am thinking about double majoring in electrical engineering & physics.

I haven't applied anywhere but I'd go to the best university available in Canada.

I visited waterloo and it's a little baron & cold. It seems as though everyone I saw is dead & depressed but I'm sure there's a lot of happy people as well.

I'm extremely extroverted I feel high when I'm talking back in forth with like-minded individuals sharing ideas and asking questions it is very mentally stimulating for me.

I'm also very happy. I'm looking to surround myself with positive individuals who really like what they do.

A lot of people I've seen just go to university for a job, or to party.

Any suggestions for universities, groups to join or ways to find these sort of people.

Thanks again you responded very fast I really appreciate it!

Dr.D said:
What I think really does not matter; it is what you think.

I find it somewhat amusing that you have suggested a double major, and this seems to be quite a common idea among those who have yet to enter college. Most actual college students find it quite enough to complete a single major, but those with no experience often think in terms of double, or even triple, majors. Wow! to have that energy level again ...

You responded so quickly thank you so much!

Right I've found a lot of people tell me the following: "double majors are a waste." "who are you trying to impress?" "University is a time to branch out." "why?" "hard." "you won't have a social life."

I don't agree with these people.

I think I'm in University so why not get the most out of it. I don't understand how double majoring could be a bad thing. I love learning & socializing is great but I'm not into partying and drinking.

I also think your thoughts matter I believe good thought out constructive criticism is gold. what's your opinion on the matter?

Alpha God said:
I was thinking about double majoring in electrical engineering & physics and then picking up programming on the way.
Dr.D said:
I find it somewhat amusing that you have suggested a double major, and this seems to be quite a common idea among those who have yet to enter college. Most actual college students find it quite enough to complete a single major,
Yeah, when I started undergrad, I was planning on an EE/ME double major. I quickly discovered that I enjoyed EE and programming (and physics) much more than ME, and ended up declaring the single EE major for my junior year.
Alpha God said:
I visited waterloo and it's a little baron & cold. It seems as though everyone I saw is dead & depressed but I'm sure there's a lot of happy people as well.

I'm extremely extroverted I feel high when I'm talking back in forth with like-minded individuals sharing ideas and asking questions it is very mentally stimulating for me.

I'm also very happy. I'm looking to surround myself with positive individuals who really like what they do.

A lot of people I've seen just go to university for a job, or to party.

Any suggestions for universities, groups to join or ways to find these sort of people.
I'm of no help with colleges, but it is good that you are visiting some of the candidate universities and seeing what they and the students are like. It's also good to visit the departments in those universities that you are considering, to see what kinds of things are posted on the bulletin boards, and to see what the labs and other facilities are like.

As for fun and interesting groups to look for at university, look for academic clubs (physics club, IEEE student group, robotics club, etc.). Are you planning on staying in the dorms your first year, or will you find an apartment from the start? The dorms can be fun, especially if they have different theme dorms (some with more studious students and less partying).

Also, consider participating in intramural sports some -- they are a great way to meet lots of people, and to reduce stress through exercise. Have fun!

Likes K Murty
Alpha God said:
I don't agree with these people.

I think I'm in University so why not get the most out of it. I don't understand how double majoring could be a bad thing. I love learning & socializing is great but I'm not into partying and drinking.

I also think your thoughts matter I believe good thought out constructive criticism is gold. what's your opinion on the matter?
Intent on double-major:
Do you expect to attend as a full-time student for 5 years or for 8 years?

There are many universities that make entrepreneurship a key draw. Stanford is one of them. So is CMU and NYU, I think. Look at the schools and see which of them can give you entrepreneurship opportunities and training. Being an entrepreneur is as much about being business savvy as it is about having a great idea. And it is not something that comes naturally to most technical people.

symbolipoint said:
Intent on double-major:
Do you expect to attend as a full-time student for 5 years or for 8 years?

Yeah should I double major in EE & math or EE & CS

Scrumhalf said:
There are many universities that make entrepreneurship a key draw. Stanford is one of them. So is CMU and NYU, I think. Look at the schools and see which of them can give you entrepreneurship opportunities and training. Being an entrepreneur is as much about being business savvy as it is about having a great idea. And it is not something that comes naturally to most technical people.

Thank you for your response. What would be best to double major in EE & CS or EE & Math

I like the idea of doing math because I think If I get really good at math it will make it easier to learn other subjects. What do you think?

Alpha God said:
Thank you for your response. What would be best to double major in EE & CS or EE & Math

I like the idea of doing math because I think If I get really good at math it will make it easier to learn other subjects. What do you think?
No.

EE and CS would be a good combo. You will learn all the math you need as you go along. For example, a EE major will cover Fourier and Laplace transforms, etc, and a CS degree will cover some amount of automata theory, discrete math, etc.

You can always supplement this with specific math courses as needed.

Keep in mind at a lot of schools EE requires TONS of units because it is such a broad field. At my university we required 180 units to graduate and the EE major required something like 176 units (I don't exactly remember the specific number). When I went in I had planned on double majoring in EE and Music, and wasn't able to do that because it would have either had to stay an extra two years or stay an extra year AND take so many courses I would hurt my GPA.

I did know a couple of people who did double majors in closely allied fields. One did EE and Materials Science (and focused his EE degree on Materials, naturally) and the other did EE and CS. I think they only had to stay an extra quarter or two as the degrees had a lot of overlap. I should say that while upper division EE and Physics had a lot of *conceptual overlap* (e.g. quantum mechanics, E&M, etc) they didn't have a lot of overlap in terms of classes so double majoring would have been really, really hard.

Since the OP is looking at Canadian universities (since he/she mentioned University of Waterloo), it is worth pointing out that many schools do not allow engineering schools to double major in programs outside of the engineering department, at least not without significant difficulty (Waterloo, for example, offers its students the ability to pursue "options" -- basically the equivalent of a minor -- in a number of select areas, including physics or math)

Even if double majoring was possible, most engineering programs at the undergraduate level that I'm aware of do not allow for students to take many electives outside of the core or key engineering prerequisite courses, and there is basically no overlap between engineering courses and other courses.

Physics

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?
Classical mechanics explains the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of subatomic particles. Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion, while quantum mechanics is based on probability and wave functions.

2. What is the theory of relativity?
The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how objects move in space and time. It consists of two parts: special relativity, which deals with objects in uniform motion, and general relativity, which explains the effects of gravity on objects.

3. How does energy conservation work in physics?
Energy conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

4. What is the role of mathematics in physics?
Mathematics is essential in understanding and describing the laws and principles of physics. It provides a precise language to express physical concepts and allows for the prediction and calculation of physical phenomena.

5. What are the four fundamental forces of nature?
The four fundamental forces of nature are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces govern the interactions between particles and determine the behavior of matter at the most fundamental level.

Engineering

1. What is the difference between civil engineering and mechanical engineering?
Civil engineering deals with the design and construction of structures and infrastructure, such as buildings, roads, and bridges. Mechanical engineering focuses on the design and development of mechanical systems, such as machines and engines.

2. How do engineers use computer-aided design (CAD)?
Engineers use CAD software to create and modify designs for products and structures. This allows for more efficient and precise design processes, as well as the ability to simulate and test designs before they are physically built.

3. What is the engineering design process?
The engineering design process is a methodical approach to solving problems and creating solutions. It involves identifying a problem, researching and brainstorming potential solutions, creating and testing prototypes, and refining the design until a viable solution is achieved.

4. What is the role of sustainability in engineering?
Sustainability is becoming increasingly important in engineering as it focuses on creating solutions that meet present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Engineers must consider the environmental, economic, and social impact of their designs to ensure sustainability.

5. What are the main branches of engineering?
The main branches of engineering include civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, and computer engineering. Other branches include aerospace, biomedical, environmental, and industrial engineering.

Business

1. What is the difference between a business model and a business plan?
A business model is a framework for how a company creates and delivers value to its customers. A business plan outlines the strategies, goals, and financial projections of a company and is typically used to secure funding or attract investors.

2. What is the importance of market research in business?
Market research is crucial for businesses as it helps them understand their target market, identify potential customers, and gather information on competitors and industry trends. This information is used to make informed decisions and develop effective marketing strategies.

3. What does ROI mean in business?
ROI stands for return on investment and is a measure of the profitability of an investment. It is calculated by dividing the net profit by the cost of the investment and is used to assess the success of a project, campaign, or overall business performance.

4. How do businesses manage risk?
Businesses manage risk by identifying potential risks, assessing their likelihood and impact, and implementing strategies to mitigate or minimize these risks. This may include insurance, contingency plans, and risk management processes.

5. What is the role of technology in business?
Technology plays a significant role in modern business operations. It allows for more efficient processes, improved communication and collaboration, and access to a global market. It also enables businesses to collect and analyze data to inform decision-making and improve overall performance.

Philosophy

1. What are the main branches of philosophy?
The main branches of philosophy are metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, logic, and aesthetics. Metaphysics deals with the nature of reality, epistem