Physics for Future Presidents book

In summary, this book is about the science behind the headlines and how it can be used to help presidents make informed decisions. It is a pop-up book with 50 illustrations.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Do you think McCain and Obama have purchased copies?

Physics for Future Presidents: The Science Behind the Headlines

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393066274/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Product Description
Learn the science behind the headlines—the tools of terrorists, the dangers of nuclear power, and the reality of global warming.

We live in complicated, dangerous times. They are also hyper-technical times. As citizens who will elect future presidents of the most powerful and influential country in the world, we need to know—truly understand, not just rely on television's talking heads—if Iran's nascent nuclear capability is a genuine threat to the West, if biochemical weapons are likely to be developed by terrorists, if there are viable alternatives to fossil fuels that should be nurtured and supported by the government, if nuclear power should be encouraged, and if global warming is actually happening. This book is written in everyday, nontechnical language on the science behind the concerns that our nation faces in the immediate future. Even active readers of serious journalism will be surprised by the lessons that the book contains. It is "must-have" information for all presidents—and citizens—of the twenty-first century. 50 illustrations.

About the Author
Richard A. Muller is professor of physics at the University of California, Berkeley. He is a past winner of the MacArthur Fellowship. This book is based on his renowned course for non-science students.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Do you think McCain and Obama have purchased copies?

More to the point has it been tested on George Bush?

Is it a picture book?

That man bear pig guy was well educated in the science was he not.

LowlyPion said:
More to the point has it been tested on George Bush?

Is it a picture book?

Pop-up book, I think. :biggrin:

Seriously, though, I might buy it for my plane trip home at Christmas.

Math Is Hard said:
Pop-up book, I think. :biggrin:

Seriously, though, I might buy it for my plane trip home at Christmas.

Why not buy it now?

ubermensch said:
Why not buy it now?

There are too many other things to read right now for school. Must wait for vacation.

I'm not voting for you for president whether you read the book or not

Math Is Hard said:
if nuclear power should be encouraged,

Yes! otherwise i would be out of job :biggrin:

Anyway forgot to post that the other day, but I consider Richard Muller to be a great scholar. His most important http://muller.lbl.gov/TRessays/23-Medievalglobalwarming.html in my opinion is:

Love to believe? My own words make me shudder. They trigger my scientist's instinct for caution. When a conclusion is attractive, I am tempted to lower my standards, to do shoddy work. But that is not the way to truth. When the conclusions are attractive, we must be extra cautious.

Advise to give that a real, real, good thought.

He is also the only scientist, I know of, who happily published a paper debunking his own hypothesis. That's real top class.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Biology professor who called that "falling in love with you hypothesis."

1. What is the main focus of the "Physics for Future Presidents" book?

The main focus of "Physics for Future Presidents" is to provide a basic understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and how they apply to real-world issues that future leaders may face.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of physics, regardless of their background or level of scientific knowledge. It is particularly relevant for those who may be in positions of leadership or decision-making in areas related to science and technology.

3. Is "Physics for Future Presidents" written in a technical or accessible manner?

The book is written in a highly accessible and engaging manner, using real-world examples and analogies to explain complex concepts in a way that is easy for non-scientists to understand.

4. What are some key topics covered in "Physics for Future Presidents"?

Some key topics covered in the book include energy and climate change, nuclear weapons and energy, space and satellite technology, and the science behind modern communication and transportation systems.

5. How can reading "Physics for Future Presidents" benefit someone in a non-scientific field?

Even for those not directly involved in science or technology, understanding the basic principles of physics can enhance critical thinking skills and help individuals make more informed decisions in their personal and professional lives. It can also provide a broader perspective on the impact of science and technology on society and the world at large.