Physics Force and Motion Problem

In summary: So, for part (b):
PhysicsMess22
An interstellar ship has a mass of 1.20 x 10^6 kg and is initially at rest relative to a star system. (a) What constant acceleration is needed to bring the ship up to a speed of 0.10c (where c is the speed of light, 3.0 x 10^8 m/s) relative to the star system in 3.0 days? (b) What is that acceleration in g units? (c) What force is required for the acceleration? (d) If the engines are shut down when 0.10c is reached (the speed then remains constant), how long does the ship take (start to finish) to journey 5.0 light-months, the distance that light travels in 5.0 months?

*If anyone could show the steps to the solution to this problem that would be great. I'm unsure of how to even begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

(a) What is the relationship between a, Δv, and Δt?

a = Δv / t-0

Yes. You can use that to solve part (a).

so I would set:

Δv = 3.0 x 10^8 m/s

t = 3.0 days

a = ?

and putting that into the previously mentioned equation would equal: 10^8 m/s

I feel like I did something wrong?

PhysicsMess22 said:
so I would set:

Δv = 3.0 x 10^8 m/s

t = 3.0 days

a = ?

and putting that into the previously mentioned equation would equal: 10^8 m/s

I feel like I did something wrong?
The only thing wrong is your units. The "days" from "3.0 days" should be included in the answer somehow.

EDIT:
Hold it, where did you get Δv = 3.0 x 10^8 m/s ?

Last edited:
Would the units for part (a) be meters / day then?

Now, for part (b) would I divide the acceleration from part (a) by 9.8 m/s^2?

Note: see the EDIT in my previous message.

PhysicsMess22 said:
Would the units for part (a) be meters / day then?
No. Think about the calculation you did.

You start with Δv in units of m/s. Next you divide this by something with units of days. That gives units of ____?

Now, for part (b) would I divide the acceleration from part (a) by 9.8 m/s^2?
Yes, but first we must get a correct (a), including units.

1. What is the difference between force and motion?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its direction of motion. Motion, on the other hand, is the change in position of an object over time. In simpler terms, force is what makes an object move, while motion is the result of that force.

2. How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. This is represented by the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. Force is measured in Newtons (N) and can be either a vector (with direction) or a scalar (without direction).

3. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object will not change its state of motion unless a force is applied to it.

4. How does mass affect an object's motion?

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its motion. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to change its motion. This is why it is more difficult to push or stop a heavy object compared to a lighter one.

5. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Conversely, the greater the object's mass, the smaller its acceleration will be for the same applied force.