Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Forums getting some love at MSN

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    Physics Forums was mentioned in the article about the German students attempts to find a closed form solution to the air resistance problem. I am not sure if Alan Boyle is a member around here since I have been MIA for a very long time on PF.

Check it out: http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/28/11920006-16-year-olds-equations-set-off-buzz-over-325-year-old-physics-puzzler?fb_ref=.T8TFdYJy97c.like&fb_source=home_multiline [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2
    Yay! Good find Norman! :)

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. May 29, 2012 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice! They almost got the name right :wink:!

5. May 29, 2012 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The link works!

6. May 29, 2012 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This seems like nice publicity for the site! Congrats! Hopefully there will be more to come as people realize that PF is unique in the quality and accuracy of its information and the effort undertaken to maintain that.

7. May 29, 2012 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Too right! If even a tiny fraction of the people who click on that link decide to hang around, it could mean hundreds of new members. At the very least, it will probably get a lot more traffic in the Homework section.

8. May 29, 2012 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kind of makes you proud to be a member. :cool:

9. May 29, 2012 #8
    We were also linked here (again incorrect title lol)

http://datelinenews.org/shourryya-ray-solution-to-350-year-old-isaac-newton-puzzle-on-search-by-physicists/99554 [Broken]

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  10. May 29, 2012 #9
    I liked the comment below in the link mentioned.

"Meanwhile, some American kid just set another record for text messages sent in a month."

11. May 30, 2012 #10

rhody

Gold Member

The daily peanut gallery who have followed my posts over the past three years has grown from one hundred something or other to well over two hundred, enough said, that is absolute proof of more peanuts.

Rhody...

12. May 30, 2012 #11
    In that photo he really doesn't look 16 to me somehow lol.

But aside from that, awesome that they mentioned the forum on there :)

13. May 30, 2012 #12
    hear, hear!

14. May 30, 2012 #13
    So is it a real problem that hasn't been solved yet? A problem about air resistance? Seems like that wouldn't be much of a problem for physicists.

15. Jun 1, 2012 #14

A/4

Can anyone comment on what he actually did? I am unable to locate any papers, etc.., that describe the solution. Only media reports. That suggests to me this story isn't as big as it's being made out to be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook