Physics Forums privacy policy

• Thread starter pervect
  • Start date
In summary: They may use a disposable address service like spamgourmet.org or jetable.org, or one of the many anonymous remailers available on the Internet.In summary, the user database on PF does not contain any identifying information except for email addresses, which are only used to prevent spam. The site does not make a profit and is supported by Google Ads and voluntary contributions. The database is stored on the server and a few backup copies on the owner's home computers. Users can protect their email privacy by using a disposable email address or anonymous remailer. A complete privacy policy will be created to address any concerns
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Does PF have a privacy policy? An anonymous entity was asking me this question, and i didn't have an answer for him/it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe that Greg has ever issued a formal policy, but he doesn't sell or share members e-mail addresses or personal information. I have never received e-mail notification other than from Greg himself, such a s a forum newsletter or a happy birthday note (none of which I've received this year), so perhaps those no longer are being sent out.

What exactly is your friend woried about?

I really don't know what he's worried about, but he'd be an asset to the relativity forum if he decided to participate.

pervect said:
I really don't know what he's worried about, but he'd be an asset to the relativity forum if he decided to participate.
You'll have to convince him of how nice we are. :smile:

You know from being here that members don't get spammed and you don't have to reveal your real identity if you chose not to.

Greg should make a privacy policy if there are going to be people worried about this.

I don't see why we shouldn't have a Privacy Policy.

We should have a privacy policy. I'll see if I can look around and find one that I can mold into being appropriate for the site.

- Warren

chroot said:
We should have a privacy policy. I'll see if I can look around and find one that I can mold into being appropriate for the site.

- Warren
Aren't you soppsed to right it on your own and not use a policy of another site?

Why should I have to write it from scratch? I'm not a lawyer. I won't violate copyrights, of course, but there's no "rule" that all privacy policies must be written from scratch. If it meets our needs, then what would be the problem with it?

- Warren

A clear, succinct privacy policy would be an asset for PF.

Among other things, it may help to encourage older, experienced folk to participate in PF (and overcome http://yeodoug.com/articles/text/what_happened.html" [Broken]).

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some more feedback from the person I was talking about earlier...

First: a quick remark about the privacy policy question. I can't discuss all of my concerns in public, but one thing I would like to know is where the money to run the site is coming from. If there is no clear answer, I'd be concerned that the money might be coming from selling data on forum users to marketing firms, for example. And who has laptops containing the user database which they might leave in their car, which might be broken into? In any case, the Wikipedia privacy policy would be an obvious model for chroot to examine :-/

As a long time user, I would say that the obvious sources of monetary support for PF are the Google advertisements, and the contributions of people who pay to support the forum (and incidentally avoid those advertisments in the process).

Inside joke: I can't positively rule out contributions from the Church of Scientology as a support for PF, though.

see for example the thread from April 1, for instance:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=116136As the "man in the middle", I don't particularly endorse nor not endorse the Wikipedia privacy policy as a model for PF, I'm just passing along a third parties concerns and suggestions.

pervect,

The user database contains nothing even remotely identifying, with the exception of the email address. The only reason we require an email address is a very unfortunate one: the bad guys force us to do it. The email address is only necessary to prevent spammers from making up hundreds of new user accounts in the span of a couple of minutes and bombing the site with gigabytes of spam posts.

The site does not make a profit, nor does it intend to. The only sources of revenue are Google Ad click-throughs and individual contributors who voluntarily choose to financially support it.

The database is stored on the server itself, and there are few backup copies on Greg's home computers. Again, the database contains nothing of use to anyone except perhaps the email address. I encourage users who are concerned about their email privacy to do one of the following:

1) They may create a "junk" email address just for the purpose of these kinds of subscriptions. They can even delete the entire email account after they're done signing up -- we don't need your email for any reason after you've proven you're a human being (and not a spam bot) by receiving and responding to one signup confirmation email.

2) They may use a disposable address service like spamgourmet.org or jetable.org, or one of the many anonymous remailers available on the Internet.

We, the staff of PF, are nothing more than a bunch of volunteers who are passionate about science and science education, and wish to discuss it in a pleasant environment.

I'll throw together a complete privacy policy in a bit. Thanks for bringing my attention to this, pervect.

- Warren

chroot said:
The user database contains nothing even remotely identifying, with the exception of the email address. The only reason we require an email address is a very unfortunate one: the bad guys force us to do it. The email address is only necessary to prevent spammers from making up hundreds of new user accounts in the span of a couple of minutes and bombing the site with gigabytes of spam posts.

The site does not make a profit, nor does it intend to. The only sources of revenue are Google Ad click-throughs and individual contributors who voluntarily choose to financially support it.

The database is stored on the server itself, and there are few backup copies on Greg's home computers. Again, the database contains nothing of use to anyone except perhaps the email address. I encourage users who are concerned about their email privacy to do one of the following:

1) They may create a "junk" email address just for the purpose of these kinds of subscriptions. They can even delete the entire email account after they're done signing up -- we don't need your email for any reason after you've proven you're a human being (and not a spam bot) by receiving and responding to one signup confirmation email.

2) They may use a disposable address service like spamgourmet.org or jetable.org, or one of the many anonymous remailers available on the Internet.

We, the staff of PF, are nothing more than a bunch of volunteers who are passionate about science and science education, and wish to discuss it in a pleasant environment.

I'll throw together a complete privacy policy in a bit. Thanks for bringing my attention to this, pervect.
So is this PF's new priacy plociy?

scott1 said:
So is this PF's new priacy plociy?
No, chroot said he will put one together.

I have distributed a copy of my proposed privacy policy to the staff. After the majority of the staff have accepted the proposal and any ammendments, it will be posted and stickied here, in the Feedback and Announcements forum.

- Warren

1. What information does the Physics Forums privacy policy cover?

The Physics Forums privacy policy covers the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information that is obtained through the Physics Forums website. This includes information such as your name, email address, and any other information you provide when signing up for an account or interacting with the website.

2. How is my personal information used by Physics Forums?

Physics Forums uses your personal information to improve your experience on the website and to provide you with the services and features that you have requested. This may include sending you emails, customizing your forum preferences, and analyzing website usage to better understand and meet the needs of our users.

3. Is my personal information shared with any third parties?

Physics Forums does not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to third parties. We may, however, share your information with trusted service providers who help us operate the website, as well as with law enforcement or government agencies if required by law or to protect our rights and interests.

4. Can I opt out of receiving emails from Physics Forums?

Yes, you can opt out of receiving emails from Physics Forums by adjusting your email preferences in your account settings. However, please note that you may still receive important administrative emails, such as password reset requests or notifications about changes to our privacy policy.

5. How does Physics Forums protect my personal information?

Physics Forums takes the security of your personal information very seriously and has measures in place to protect it from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. These measures include encryption, firewalls, and regular security updates. We also restrict access to personal information to only those employees who need it to perform their job duties.