Physics graduate can't get job with defense contractor

In summary, a recent physics and applied math graduate is currently taking mechanical engineering classes and is certain that they want to pursue a career in ME. They are debating whether to seek employment now or wait for a position related to engineering at a defense contractor. They are also considering a position at a government lab for their MS. The individual is concerned about the current state of the defense industry and is unsure if it is a good area to enter. Additionally, they have been picky in their job search, limiting their options to certain types of jobs."
creepypasta13
I just graduated with my BS in physics and applied math this December 2009. I'm currently taking 2 mechanical engineering classes right now through my school's extension program for BA/BS degree holders. After taking these ME classes for 3 weeks now, I'm certain that I want to enter ME for my career. I know I want to eventually go for a MS in ME.

But I'm debating whether to seek employment right now, even if it means dropping those classes in the middle of the semester, or to just take the classes. The problem is that I wish the most to work on tanks, weapons, and missiles for a defense contractor, but I'm not getting any job offers from them. I have gotten a few interviews for other technical positions, such as computer programming/math for economics/finance and website-design companies, but none of them sounded very interesting. If I get future offers for these positions, should I take them, so that I could put them on my resume as work experience so that I can eventually obtain an engineering position? Or should I just wait until I get an offer for a position related to engineering at a defense contractor, not just because the work is more interesting, but because they can also reimburse me to work on a MS part-time?

Another dilemma that I'm having is that I applied to the government labs, such as Sandia, for the SULI summer program. When I applied, I wasn't sure I wanted a phD or MS. But now after thinking it through, I'm sure I want a MS. If I get offered a position at one of those labs, should I take the offer?

Sorry my situation sounds so complicated, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help, probably physics BS -> engineering MS people could help the most.

Physics news on Phys.org
Having been a summer intern at Sandia, I know that there is the possibility of them paying for your MS if they want to keep you on. I kind of wish that I had taken them up on that sort of an offer but with a PhD. They pay pretty well and treated me well. I just wasn't interesting in staying in the area of physics they had me working in (radiation detection). I was a physicist continuing on with physics, but there are plenty of engineers there.

Do the jobs you are applying for have physics on the acceptable degrees list? Either way if you want to be an ME I wouldn't drop the classes. There is an awful lot you can do on tank design - materials and electrical engineering too.

If you can afford to go to school, go for it; Finish what you have started if you can. If not, working and getting tuition aid from an employer is a great alternative...but involves LONG hours; I have done both...there is no "one size fits all". Taking a position in a large company often means that your success in one area will enable you to move on to other areas with the company.

I just read a scathing article at the Heritage Foundation website regarding how many of our major military systems are now over twenty years old...that they have been neglected and underfunded...many airframes for example, and I guess the Abrahams tank despite it's awsome performance in the middle east. So maybe defense is a lackluster area in a lackluster economy..maybe not. I don't know.

One thing for sure, President Obama has repeatedly said he wants to redistribute wealth, and has not voiced support for major military defense initiatives. So you might check out financial reviews of defense contractors ( stocks) and see what Wall Street thinks about the defense industry. Healthcare is a natural "growth" area due to aging baby boomers; the defense industry may be in the doldrums for the next several years because of spending on other priorities. But the US defense industry also provides systems all around the world so the world economic and political situation IS relevant.

russ_watters said:
Do the jobs you are applying for have physics on the acceptable degrees list? Either way if you want to be an ME I wouldn't drop the classes. There is an awful lot you can do on tank design - materials and electrical engineering too.

some of them have physics listed under required or desired majors

Naty1 said:
If you can afford to go to school, go for it; Finish what you have started if you can. If not, working and getting tuition aid from an employer is a great alternative...but involves LONG hours; I have done both...there is no "one size fits all". Taking a position in a large company often means that your success in one area will enable you to move on to other areas with the company.

i can afford paying tuition for an MS, but of course i'd much rather save a lot of money and try to get paid to do it while working for a company.

Have you ever considered that maybe you're being too picky and consequently, have narrowed down your choices way too much? I have never thought that it is a good idea for new graduates to have such narrow vision on the career that they want to pursue. It is difficult enough to get a job. It is even worse when you only want to do certain types of jobs and limit your search to just those.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Have you ever considered that maybe you're being too picky and consequently, have narrowed down your choices way too much? I have never thought that it is a good idea for new graduates to have such narrow vision on the career that they want to pursue. It is difficult enough to get a job. It is even worse when you only want to do certain types of jobs and limit your search to just those.

Zz.

I have, that's why i asked: "I have gotten a few interviews for other technical positions, such as computer programming/math for economics/finance and website-design companies, but none of them sounded very interesting. If I get future offers for these positions, should I take them, so that I could put them on my resume as work experience so that I can eventually obtain an engineering position?"

I don't know if its better to take jobs that don't sound interesting or to just take engineering classes and wait for grad school

1. Why is it difficult for physics graduates to find jobs with defense contractors?

There are a few reasons why it may be challenging for physics graduates to secure employment with defense contractors. One reason is that defense contractors often prioritize hiring candidates with specific technical skills or security clearances that may not be readily available to recent graduates. Additionally, the competition for these positions can be fierce as many physics graduates are interested in working in the defense industry.

2. Are there any specific skills or experiences that physics graduates should have to increase their chances of getting hired by a defense contractor?

It can be helpful for physics graduates to have experience with specific software or programming languages commonly used in the defense industry, such as MATLAB or C++. Additionally, having relevant research or internship experience related to defense applications can make a candidate stand out to potential employers.

3. Are there any alternative career paths for physics graduates who are interested in working with defense contractors?

Yes, there may be alternative career paths for physics graduates who are interested in working with defense contractors. Some options include pursuing a graduate degree in a specialized field related to defense or gaining relevant experience in a related industry, such as aerospace or engineering.

4. Is it necessary for physics graduates to have a security clearance to work with defense contractors?

While having a security clearance may be preferred by some defense contractors, it is not always a requirement for employment. It is possible for a physics graduate to obtain a security clearance after being hired by a defense contractor, but this process can take some time and may also depend on the specific role and level of clearance required.

5. What can physics graduates do to improve their chances of getting hired by a defense contractor in the future?

There are a few steps that physics graduates can take to increase their chances of being hired by a defense contractor in the future. These include gaining relevant experience through internships or research positions, networking with professionals in the defense industry, and continuously developing and honing their technical skills. Additionally, staying up-to-date on current events and advancements in the defense industry can also be beneficial.