Physics help -- pushing a refrigerator across a wooden floor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the minimum force needed to move a refrigerator on a flat surface, as well as the calculation of the force needed to lift the refrigerator into a truck. The use of a ramp is also mentioned as a possible solution. The conversation concludes with a request for further assistance.
mememe1245
I did attempt the problem, but I' now more confused than ever. Please help me.

Joe is moving his refrigerator to take to college and he begins by pushing it across
the wooden kitchen floor.

On a flat surface like the floor, how do you calculate how hard he needs to push?

Draw a free body diagram to help explain your answer and use the simulation Ramp:
Force and Motion to check your ideas.
1.Record the minimum force Joe would have
to use to move the refrigerator on the kitchen floor.

2. Later, Joe is ready to load his refrigerator onto the moving truck.

a. Explain how he would calculate how much force to use to lift the refrigerator straight
up into a truck.b. Joe starts thinking about easier ways to get it in the truck and remembers he has

some wood that he could use to make a ramp. How could he calculate the minimum

force needed to push it up the ramp?
-------------
Sorry I've been stuck on this for an hour :(

By using these...:
(kinetic/ sliding) mu=0.2
mass= 200kg
Normal Force= 2000N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the refrigerator's mass?

200 kg

So, first you would calculate the gravitational pull: G=gm, where g=9.8m/s

lightbender said:
So, first you would calculate the gravitational pull: G=gm, where g=9.8m/s

G= 200kg * 9.8m/s^2 = 1960N?

Oh, wait! I did not see that you changed your original thread!
Actually, first since the normal force is 2000N, the gravitational force is also 2000N.

lightbender said:
Oh, wait! I did not see that you changed your original thread!
Actually, first since the normal force is 2000N, the gravitational force is also 2000N.

Okay...

Then, to find the sliding friction force, you would do: Sliding=normal force x mu

lightbender said:
Then, to find the sliding friction force, you would do: Sliding=normal force x mu
so, mu=force of friction/ force of Newton, right?

mu is .2 from your original thread!

lightbender said:
mu is .2 from your original thread!
Okay, I understand that mu = .2 and g= 2000N. What I don't understand is how to solve the problem.

So, you just multiply them together resulting in the numerical value for sliding friction

lightbender said:
So, you just multiply them together resulting in the numerical value for sliding friction
Ohhh...Waw! Thank u!

The sliding friction answer is the equivalent to the minimum force needed to push the refrigerator! (answer in Newtons)
And Your Welcome!
Bye!

Likes mememe1245
lightbender said:
The sliding friction answer is the equivalent to the minimum force needed to push the refrigerator! (answer in Newtons)
And Your Welcome!
Bye!
Sorry...can I have more help with just two more questions? Please.

1. How does friction affect pushing a refrigerator across a wooden floor?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. When pushing a refrigerator across a wooden floor, friction acts in the opposite direction of the push, making it more difficult to move the refrigerator. The roughness and material of the floor, as well as the weight and surface area of the refrigerator, can all affect the amount of friction present.

2. What are some ways to reduce friction when pushing a refrigerator?

There are a few ways to reduce friction when pushing a refrigerator across a wooden floor. One way is to use a lubricant, such as oil or wax, on the bottom of the refrigerator or on the floor. Another way is to lift the refrigerator slightly off the ground to reduce the surface area in contact with the floor. Additionally, using wheels or sliders under the refrigerator can also reduce friction.

3. How much force is needed to push a refrigerator across a wooden floor?

The amount of force needed to push a refrigerator across a wooden floor depends on several factors, including the weight of the refrigerator, the friction present, and the angle and direction of the push. In general, a greater force is needed to overcome higher levels of friction and to move heavier refrigerators.

4. Can pushing a refrigerator across a wooden floor cause any damage?

Pushing a refrigerator across a wooden floor can potentially cause damage to both the refrigerator and the floor. Excessive force can damage the wheels or sliders on the refrigerator, and repeatedly pushing over the same spot on the floor can wear down the wood or cause scratches. It is important to use caution and proper techniques when pushing heavy objects to avoid any damage.

5. How does the surface area of the refrigerator affect pushing it across a wooden floor?

The surface area of the refrigerator can affect the amount of friction present when pushing it across a wooden floor. A larger surface area in contact with the floor means there is more friction, making it more difficult to push the refrigerator. To reduce friction, it is helpful to lift the refrigerator slightly off the ground or to use lubricants or wheels.