1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Lesson for 11th grade in USA

1. Jul 10, 2010 #1
    hello everyone, my name is dee. i am new here and would like to ask you a question.

"What does 11th grade students in USA study in Physics class?" (in reguler and AP class)

i am Indonesian student who will going to study in USA this coming school year as exchange student, and my host dad tell me that he believes AP Physics class will suit me well..
    I need to know what will i learn in AP Physics Class in USA, and what if i take the reguler physics class ?

i am looking forward for your help, thanks before ^^

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2010 #2
    In my AP class we covered Optics, Electricity & Magnetism, Special Relativity, Nuclear Physics and Thermodynamics. Most of the first semester was E&M. Good luck!

4. Jul 11, 2010 #3
    thanks! i`ve learned the basic of Opics, E&M, Special Relativity and Thermodynamics here in Indonesia. wish i will do well in my AP Class there.

5. Jul 11, 2010 #4
    Where did you do this? Private school? The AP physics exam only covers mechanics and E&M, and that's all we ever did in public school. I can't imagine any public school even touches special relativity, nuclear physics, or thermo...

6. Jul 11, 2010 #5
    Nope I took it at a public school. First year (non-AP) covers all mechanics, then AP covers the aforementioned topics, with the most time spent on E&M.

7. Jul 11, 2010 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

And the moral of this story is, "there's no such thing as a single answer to any question about the U.S. educational system!" So if deebhagalz wants a definite answer to his question about the difference between AP physics and regular physics at his school, he needs to ask someone who is familiar with his school. I do think the situation at mg0stisha's school is rather unusual.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  8. Jul 11, 2010 #7
    I went to a small public high school, and I just wish that I had the opportunity to take more. Calculus BC was not even offered.

9. Jul 12, 2010 #8
    I am going to a public high school in Northwest, DC area. Does that make senses?
    Well, i hope what i`ll learn will not be much different from what everyone said here.
    but looks like i`ll definitely learn about E&M ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook