Physics magnet conceptual question

In summary, the figure shows a wire connected to a power supply and suspended between the poles of a magnet. The wire deflects when the switch is closed. The question asks which dashed box represents the position of the north magnetic pole. The right hand rule can be used to determine this, with the index finger representing the current, the thumb representing the force, and the middle finger representing the magnetic field. It is important to have a clear picture or detailed description of the problem in order to fully understand and solve it.
buddy72192

Homework Statement

The figure shows a wire that is connected to a power supply and suspended between the poles of a magnet. When the switch is closed, the wire deflects in the direction shown.

Which of the dashed boxes A–D represents the position of the north magnetic pole?

Homework Equations

Right hand rule?

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempt the right hand rule and line my thumb up with the wire I don't see how the wire could deflect downward. Shouldn't it be right or left deflection?

I must be missing something

Physics news on Phys.org
bump... help me understand this

anyone? I don't know how to go about this... and yes I've read the chapter

It's more accurate if you use your

index finger (current)
thumb (force)
middle finger (magnetic field).

You, however, are lacking the picture or a more detailed description of the problem. This is probably why no one has responded.

The correct answer is D. The wire is deflecting downwards because the north magnetic pole is located at the top of the magnet, which is represented by box D. The right hand rule can be applied to determine the direction of the deflection, but it is important to also consider the orientation of the magnet. In this case, the north pole is facing downwards towards the wire, which causes the wire to deflect downwards. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic field of the wire and the magnetic field of the magnet.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnet or a moving electric charge experiences a force. It is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

What are the properties of magnets?

Magnets have two poles, north and south, and opposite poles attract while like poles repel. They also have the ability to attract certain materials such as iron, cobalt, and nickel. Magnets also have a magnetic field that can be affected by external factors such as temperature and other magnets.

How do magnets interact with each other?

Magnets interact with each other through their magnetic fields. Like poles repel each other while opposite poles attract. The strength of the interaction depends on the distance between the magnets and their magnetic field strength.

What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is made of a material that retains its magnetism without the need for an external current. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by passing an electric current through a wire wrapped around a metal core, and its magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the current.

How is magnetism related to electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This is known as electromagnetic induction, and it is the basis for many technologies such as generators, motors, and transformers.