Physics/Mathematics from the Open University

• Schools
  • Thread starter ratking82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the Open University is highly regarded by employers due to its externally examined degrees and the dedication and time management skills displayed by its graduates. It is also recognized by prestigious universities such as LSE and Imperial. While the decision to pursue a degree from the Open University is a personal one, it is also a valuable asset in the job market.
ratking82
Well this is my second query on this forum on this very helpful forum :)
As suggested by the title, I am considering a additional degree from the Open University. Whether it will be Physics or Mathematics I have not decided, as of now. But my query pertains to the acceptance of Open University degree in job hunting. While I want to do this degree completely out of my selfish interest to learn, I would not want to spend money (which is, for always, in short supply for me) without maximising my benefits.

Thanks in advance people!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there, as a graduate of the open university I can honestly say that the degree is regarded highly, a lot of associate lectures (your main point of contact for a course you do) are employeed by universities. Always remember that all UK degrees are externally examined by other academics who sign off on the quality, this ensures that standards do not slip.

The biggest quality recognised by employers is that the person that undertakes a degree that takes six years to complete, has no long breaks for holidays and required study time from February to October is that of independence and determination as well as excellent time management.

I went on to LSE to do a MSc and am now at Imperial for another MSc, these universities certainly rate the OU.

ratking82 said:
Well this is my second query on this forum on this very helpful forum :)
As suggested by the title, I am considering a additional degree from the Open University. Whether it will be Physics or Mathematics I have not decided, as of now. But my query pertains to the acceptance of Open University degree in job hunting. While I want to do this degree completely out of my selfish interest to learn, I would not want to spend money (which is, for always, in short supply for me) without maximising my benefits.

Thanks in advance people!

1. What courses are offered in Physics/Mathematics from the Open University?

The Open University offers a wide range of courses in Physics and Mathematics, including introductory courses, advanced courses in specific topics, and degree programs. Some popular courses include "Introduction to Astronomy and Cosmology," "Calculus and its Applications," and "Quantum Mechanics."

2. Is prior knowledge required for Physics/Mathematics courses at the Open University?

Prior knowledge is not required for most introductory courses at the Open University. However, for more advanced courses, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic mathematics and physics concepts.

3. How are the courses taught at the Open University?

The Open University uses a combination of online materials, textbooks, and interactive activities to deliver course content. Students also have access to tutors and online forums for discussion and support.

4. Can I earn a degree in Physics/Mathematics from the Open University?

Yes, the Open University offers a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs in Physics and Mathematics. These degrees are fully accredited and recognized by employers and universities.

5. How long does it take to complete a degree in Physics/Mathematics from the Open University?

The length of time to complete a degree at the Open University varies depending on the program and the student's individual pace. On average, a full-time undergraduate degree can be completed in 3-4 years, while a postgraduate degree may take 1-2 years.