1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics momentum and impulse questions

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    an 8.0 N force acts on a 5.0 kg object for 3.0 sec. what impulse is given to the object? what change in momentum does to his impulse cause? if the object's initial velocity is 25 m/s determine the final velocity of the object?

i have the right answers cuz my teacher gave them to use .. but i dont know how to get there.. am i suppose to combine both masses? and use the impulse equation which is p=f.t ??

i am really confused and i would really appreciate any help thanks.

Read more: physics momentum and impulse questions | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2697033#ixzz1q6SkpbNK

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is all really straightforward. It is asking you for the impulse. Well, what is the definition of impulse?

4. Mar 25, 2012 #3
    isn't it a force.. i am really confused btw the meaning of impulse and momentum

5. Mar 25, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

There is only one mass mentioned here, there is no other mass to "combine" it with.
    If an impulse acts on a body it causes a change of momentum of that body. Equate the impulse to the change of momentum as: F·∆t = m·∆v

Q: what are the units of momentum?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook