Physics needs new options (Overbye of NYT)

In summary, physicists are eagerly waiting for something new to show up at the LHC but so far they are stuck in the Standard Model.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/04/science/04phys.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

Physics Awaits New Options as Standard Model Idles
(a July 4 science essay by Dennis Overbye)

Here is how Dennis Overbye, a top science writer covering theoretical physics at the NY Times, introduces the topic of the short essay:

"...Forget the lifetime tenure, the travel, the six-figure book contracts — what professional physicists live for is the tsunami moment when they know something that nobody else has ever known, the revelatory flash of a new glimpse into the workings of what Stephen Hawking, the Cambridge University cosmologist, called 'the Mind of God.'

Alas, God, as reflected in the known laws of physics, hasn't gotten any smarter since the 1970's. It was then that particle physicists put the finishing touches on the Standard Model, a collection of theories describing all the physical forces except gravity.

They have been stuck in that model, like birds in a gilded cage, ever since..."

He quotes David Gross. Lee Smolin, Nima Arkani-Hamed. He gets across the idea how hungry theorists are for something really new to show up at LHC. No big deal, I guess, but I liked it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ideas to kickstart new developments? Er...maybe...

Maybe an updating of spectral physics is possible with the current understanding of light fields and an as yet unseen relationship with 'space'? Is it possible that there is a 'sub-space' reality which goes undetected and through which allows the mechanisms of certain constants of physics to act the way they do? (For example: the 'spacing' between the electron orbital levels; the 'spacing' in language of the brain; the 'spacing' of planets through gravity; and last but not least the 'spacing' between spectral lines) Or is all this 'spacing' arbitrary and/or random?

Orionized said:
Maybe an updating of spectral physics is possible with the current understanding of light fields and an as yet unseen relationship with 'space'? ...?

Hi orion eyes,
my own opinion is that I appreciate what Dennis Overbye does as a science journalist for an influential paper, but I don't literally BELIEVE him. His view is superficial and ignores the causes.

I think theoreticians have a number of very exciting post-string ideas out on the table, but so far only a handful of people dare to look at them.

It is not so much that they need new ideas,
they need to look at the new ideas they already have!

Kea here at PF will tell you about some. To mention only two of several others that come to mind: John Baez, who kindly shows up here now and then, will tell you about some. Any thread here about current Laurent Freidel work will have some interesting new ideas that only a handful of people are working on as yet.

the bottleneck is you can wreck your career as a young physics researcher if you go to the new ideas
check this thread out:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=121501
(non-string research positions in the US)

Overbye so far has not addressed what is the real problem, but at least he is reflecting the symptoms---which is hopeful and way better than it could be:smile:

Last edited:
Interesting read. What I was thinking has to do with the concept of 'flat space' in terms of the CMB. Does the perception of 'flat space' indicate a universe imbedded on a 2 dimensional 'plane' or a 1 dimensional 'horizon' line? In other words - is our universe 'on a singularity'? Please keep in mind I only wish to understand the concept of 'space' as separate from energy and time, even though I realize that space and time are inseparable as per Einstein's relativity. Now if space is 'flat', is there another 'side'? (Put another way, is it possible that the CMB functions as a form of 'boundary' to 'flat space'?)

1. What are the current limitations in the field of physics that require new options?

The article argues that the current theories of physics, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, cannot fully explain certain phenomena, such as dark matter and dark energy, and therefore new options are needed to further our understanding of the universe.

2. What are some proposed alternatives or additions to current theories?

Some proposed alternatives to current theories include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and supersymmetry. These theories attempt to reconcile the discrepancies between general relativity and quantum mechanics and provide new explanations for unexplained phenomena.

3. How does the search for new options in physics impact scientific research and progress?

The search for new options in physics drives scientific research and progress by pushing scientists to question and challenge current theories, leading to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

4. What challenges may arise in implementing new options in physics?

One challenge may be the difficulty in testing and verifying these new theories, as they often require advanced technology and experiments that are beyond our current capabilities. Additionally, there may be resistance from the scientific community to accept and adopt these new options.

5. How can the general public stay informed about developments in the field of physics and new options being explored?

The general public can stay informed by reading articles and books written by physicists and science journalists, attending lectures and conferences, and following reputable scientific institutions and researchers on social media. It is also important to critically evaluate the information presented and be aware of potential biases or sensationalism in reporting.