Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics of Figure Skating

1. Feb 3, 2006 #1
    I maintain a blog where I write about physics for a general audience, and I wanted to let everyone know about my latest entry, which is on the physics of figure skating. With the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics only a week away, I thought it might be fun to collect links related to the physics of the sports being contested. In my write-up, I link to some other physics of figure skating sites, as well.

http://watered-down-physics.blogspot.com

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2006 #2
    Well, nearly anything that figure skaters do (of interest, anyways) relates to the conservation of angular momentum... If you look that up, you'll find lots of examples.

4. Feb 9, 2006 #3

Mk

Fan, I think you need to copy and paste over the code for the blogger bar at the top of the site, its not showing up right, for me.

5. Feb 12, 2006 #4
    To supplement my figure-skating write-up, I've now added a collection of links on the physics of other Winter Olympic sports, such as luge, hockey, and skiing.

I hope that my webpage shows up properly for most of you. It looks OK to me. I know that on different browsers and different computers, things can look different, however.

6. Feb 20, 2006 #5
    Fan, you've really helped me with finding how math is used in figure skating. Thanks for helping!

7. Feb 21, 2006 #6

Mk

Oh it works good for me now.

But I can't comment :frown: I have an RSS button you might like I made myself. I can send you the code.

8. Feb 21, 2006 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?