Physics or EE for Expirimental research?

In summary, the speaker is a freshman at a community college in western New York. They have a passion for physics but are considering switching their major to physics instead of electrical engineering. They are willing to pursue higher education to achieve their goal of conducting experimental research in cutting-edge physics. They are seeking guidance on which major and university would be the best choice for their career aspirations. They also inquire about the possibility of getting into a physics graduate school with an EE degree. Another factor in their decision is the opportunity to attend Virginia Tech for free, but they are unsure about the strength of their physics program compared to the University at Buffalo. They appreciate the advice and help provided by the forum.
SuicideSteve
Hello everyone!
I am in need of guidance. I'm confused as to where my academic career should be headed. I am currently at the end of my freshman year at a local community college in western New York. I have been a physics junkie since my junior year of high school. Ever since I was little I have wanted to be an Electrical Engineer, but since the start of my second semester I have been considering a major in Physics instead. The reason being is that I am not all that interested in industry. I want to end up in research, but experimental research having to do with cutting edge Physics rather than research and design. I am willing to go through as much schooling as is needed to accomplish my goals (Masters, Ph.D). Which Major is the better choice? Would it be possible to get into an Experimental Physics Grad. school with an EE degree?

The other bit of my confusion is that I have the opportunity to go out of state to Virginia Tech. I have visited the campus multiple times and would be able to room and board for free with my aunt and uncle who both work there. or I could stay local and go to the University at Buffalo, and be able to live at home although there are not many jobs around here. I know that both schools are excellent Engineering schools but I am not too sure about their Physics programs. Which School do you think would be a better choice?

Thanks for all your time... This is really a Great forum and has already helped me tremendously.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Yes, its possible but this is the harder path (and kind of less guaranteed to some extent)
If you want to go to Physics grad school, its much easier to do directly by studying physics prior to that.
Going with EE degree is more difficult, as you would have most of the grad school expected essential knowledge is missing, even if its an experimental physics phd programme. Any experimentalist must have a certain minimum of the theoretical aspects (& vice versa).

You can make up for those physics courses during an EE degree, but the EE courses alone will make sure that you have more than enough course load every semester.
I am not sure how deep is your EE interest, i.e. if you're just interested in certain aspects e.g. electronics then you can attend those few courses along the physics degree.
Depending on the content of the physics bachelor, typically there some labs & parts of courses on electronics.

Had you wanted to work in industry, only then the EE degree would be a more suitable path in my opinion.

You may want also to look into other possibilities like Engineering Physics or Applied Physics programmes.

Thank you for your response. I think one of the only reasons why I am still considering EE is that I thought it was what I wanted for a long time. Has anyone gone to either Virginia Tech or University at Buffalo?

1. What is the difference between physics and electrical engineering for experimental research?

In general, physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, involves the design and application of various technologies that use electricity and electromagnetism. For experimental research, physics may involve conducting experiments to test and verify theories, while electrical engineering may involve designing and building experimental setups to test new technologies.

2. Can you provide an example of an experimental research project in physics?

One example of an experimental research project in physics is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, which is used to study the fundamental properties of matter and the nature of the universe. Scientists at the LHC conduct experiments by colliding particles at high energies and analyzing the data to test theories and discover new particles.

3. What types of experimental research are commonly conducted in electrical engineering?

Experimental research in electrical engineering can cover a wide range of topics, from developing new materials and components for electronic devices to designing and testing new technologies for renewable energy sources. Some common types of experiments in electrical engineering include building and testing prototypes, conducting simulations, and analyzing data from experiments.

4. How do physics and electrical engineering overlap in terms of experimental research?

Physics and electrical engineering often overlap in terms of experimental research, as both fields rely on the scientific method to test hypotheses and validate theories. For example, in the field of quantum computing, physicists and electrical engineers work together to design and build experimental setups to test the feasibility and functionality of quantum computers.

5. What are the potential career paths for someone interested in experimental research in physics or electrical engineering?

Individuals interested in experimental research in physics or electrical engineering can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including academia, government research labs, and private companies. Some potential job titles for these fields include research scientist, experimental physicist, electrical engineer, and research and development engineer. Additionally, individuals may also choose to pursue advanced degrees and become professors or researchers in academia.