1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Problem Involving Gravitational Force on an object based on R

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At what distance r inside the Earth is the gravitational force due to Earth the same as at
    the distance r = 4RE (where the latter distance is clearly outside Earth)? Assume uniform
    density of Earth.

2. Relevant equations

conservation of energy? TME = GPE + KE

3. The attempt at a solution

At first I thought I could do conservation of energy and set both GPE's equal to each other and solve for a new Radius, but this is not working out well. Is there something I need to do involving the density of Earth and the mass? I really have no idea. Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Energy conservation doesn't appear relevant to me... I'd go with Gauss.

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    Hmm...I haven't learned Gauss's Law though. This wants Gravitational Force and Gravitational Potential not Electric Force and EPE, so I'm not sure how I'd apply Gauss (after googling, I saw it was a theroem for electric potential). How would you go about using Gauss's Law?

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

6. Nov 20, 2013 #5
    That was perfect! Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted