Physics science fair on shoe polymers

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of a physics science fair project. The original idea was to study the effect of heat on friction in shoe polymers, but the person was unsure of how to identify different shoe polymers and obtain enough samples. They then changed the idea to studying the effect of temperature on friction in different shoe brands, but were concerned about having two variables. They received a website that described the components and possible polymers used in shoes, and were advised to focus on the sole and potentially explore other materials such as cloth, leather, rubber, and different types of polymers. The website was suggested as a resource to find more information.
DingleTron3000
So I am doing a physics science fair project. My original idea was "How does heat affect friction in shoe polymers?" but how would I know how to identify shoe polymers and where would I get 5 or 6 different pairs of shoe polymers. I changed it to "How does different temperatures affect friction in different shoe brands?" but doesn't that have two variables which isn't allowed. Someone please help me fix one of the two problems. I need help so badly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the website?
jedishrfu said:
Here's a website that describes the components of a shoe and the possible polymers in use and the reasoning for their selection.

If you focus on the shoe sole then maybe you could go beyond polymers and talk and out cloth, then leather then rubber then polymer types.

jedishrfu said:
Edited my post to include it.
Thanks a bunch man!

No thank Google. Google is your friend if you try different queries and vary the words used you can find a lot of arcane stuff.

1. What is a polymer?

A polymer is a large molecule made up of many smaller repeating units called monomers. They can be natural or synthetic and have a wide range of properties and uses.

2. How are shoe polymers related to physics?

Shoe polymers are related to physics because they are materials that can be manipulated and studied using principles of physics, such as force, motion, and energy. In addition, understanding the properties and behavior of shoe polymers can lead to advancements in shoe design and performance.

3. What types of experiments can be done for a shoe polymer science fair project?

There are many possible experiments for a shoe polymer science fair project. Some ideas include testing the strength and durability of different polymer materials, examining the effects of temperature and moisture on polymers, or investigating the relationship between polymer composition and properties.

4. How can the results of a shoe polymer science fair project be applied in real life?

The results of a shoe polymer science fair project can be applied in real life in various ways. For example, understanding how different polymer materials behave under different conditions can help in the development of more durable and comfortable shoe designs. Additionally, the knowledge gained from these experiments can also be applied in other industries that use polymers, such as packaging and construction.

5. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when working with shoe polymers for a science fair project?

When working with shoe polymers, it is important to wear protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, to prevent any potential skin or eye irritation. Additionally, make sure to read and follow all instructions and warnings on the materials being used. If conducting experiments with heat or chemicals, be sure to have adult supervision and follow proper safety protocols.