Physics Study Marathon -- Book Suggestions Please

In summary: War and Peace in twenty minutes.I took a speed reading class and I was able read War and Peace in twenty minutes.
kpuding
I am planning to study 8 semesters worth of physics major (physics introduction until field theory, QED, particle physics, etc.) What are the recommended books for each subject?
I am currently at Schaum's vector analysis, is it enough for the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not possible to write down suggestions for eight semesters in one thread. Besides, books on these topics have been discussed quite a lot in this forum. You might want to search this forum with keywords like "electrodynamics" or "quantum electrodynamics". You will surely get a large number of threads. Check those out first.

Or look at the list of threads linked to this post right below and follow the links and ask followups if needed and enjoy your Physics Feast.

Short answer, while useful NO Schaums Vector Analysis would not suffice.

However it would be useful for studying Classical Mechanics and Electromagnetism mostly. Even then more math is needed to understand partial differential equations and linear algebra. This is the math mix for most undergrads at a minimum.

You can study up via mathispower4u.com where they have a large collection of math videos organized by course subject: Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Statistics.

jedishrfu said:
You can study up via mathispower4u.com where they have a large collection of math videos organized by course subject: Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Statistics.
Thanks, but how about tensor and general relativity, do you have a recommendation?

How much time do you have at hand for studying 8 semesters?

kpuding said:
Thanks, but how about tensor and general relativity, do you have a recommendation?

You can't learn everything at once. GR is a high-end undergraduate subject, even in its simplest treatment. I can't see the point in worrying about purchasing a GR textbook (or learning serious tensor analysis) until you've got a couple of years of undergraduate physics and the associated maths under your belt.

It's not just a question of the amount of material related to undergraduate physics, but it takes your brain time to mature.

I recommend you focus on the first steps for the time being.

I just want to learn this whole subject "speed run" style. So may I have book recommendations please?

If you allow for videos, look up those by eigenchris on YouTube on covariant differentiation and general diff geo.

Nice. How about electrodynamics? Right now I have Griffiths' and Jackson's electrodynamics. Do I need more sources?

kpuding said:
Nice. How about electrodynamics? Right now I have Griffiths' and Jackson's electrodynamics. Do I need more sources?

If your focus is to study, then you don't need more than that.

Those two alone would keep an average student busy for a year or two.

PS actually that's not quite true. The average student is generally unable to learn material at that level on their own. Those would keep an exceptional student busy for a year or two.

Sir, your request for advanced graduate-level texts seems to me somewhat silly given that you are just tackling vector calculus. Wait until you have progresed and are ready. When you get there, you'll better have the ability to choose which of the standard texts work best for you in each subject.

Likes weirdoguy
PeroK said:
"A pedagogic masterpiece" no less!

I got to read the preprints when I was an undergrad studying GR as an independent study. I made it upto chapter 8 barely.

The prof wasn't too happy with my progress since I was slow to deliver homework (I worked 30 hrs a week to pay my schooling at the time) but the book was quite amazing to read and I didn't really care as I wanted to really understand it vs the pressure to move more quickly.

However, I couldn't understand the use of differential forms and those cool diagrams of arrows going through planes and tubes in spacetime.

Recently, I bought another copy from Barnes and Noble for its sentimental value and the fact that I had used highlighter on some passages that distracts when you try to read it again.

(One prof had told us to stop going the highlighter route as you'll regret it later on. He was right, his suggestion was to use pencil to underline passages or write notes in the margins, ie something you could erase later on. Ahh, the many things that stick with you from college.)

Likes PeroK
kpuding said:
I just want to learn this whole subject "speed run" style.

I took a speed reading class and I was able read War and Peace in twenty minutes.
It's about Russia.

Likes madscientist_93, Saph, NotGauss and 5 others
Vanadium 50 said:
I took a speed reading class and I was able read War and Peace in twenty minutes.
It's about Russia.
So sayeth Woody Allen, as well.

kpuding said:
I am planning to study 8 semesters worth of physics major (physics introduction until field theory, QED, particle physics, etc.)
Given that you're just starting in college, from another thread you started, I have to say that attaining your goal of studying 8 semesters worth of physics in one school year is extremely unlikely.

Mark44 said:
Given that you're just starting in college, from another thread you started, I have to say that attaining your goal of studying 8 semesters worth of physics in one school year is extremely unlikely.
Why not just let I am make his own mistakes or, even better, surprise us with an unlikely success? His time/money/life after all.

WWGD said:
Why not just let I am make his own mistakes or, even better, surprise us with an unlikely success? His time/money/life after all.
I'm not stopping him -- just expressing my skepticism is all, especially in light of his other goals that mentioned in the thread I referred to.

If you've had introductory calculus get yourself a mathematical methods book like Boas' and start paving the contents into your brain.

Thanks all, I'll ask again later when i finish GR

With respect to Schaum's Outlines there's one summary Schaum titled:

Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071635408/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its a summarized composite of several of their titles into one large paperback book.

Another indispensable Schaum's book is their:

Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1260010538/?tag=pfamazon01-20

One place where it excels is in its integrals tables and in coordinate systems where they list ones I've never heard of beyond the xyz, cylindrical, spherical ones we all learn:
- parabolic cylindrical
- paraboloidal
- elliptic cylindrical
- prolate spheroidal
- oblate spheroidal
- bipolar
- toroidal
- conical
- confocal ellipsoidal
- confocal paraboloidal

I've used both books in my job as goto's when I need an integral or some formula I just can't remember.

Other useful mathematica references are:
- Arfken and Weber (available on Amazon)
- Nearing Mathematical Methods (available free on his website and via Dover pubs)

jedishrfu said:
One place where it excels is in its integrals tables and in coordinate systems where they list ones I've never heard of beyond the xyz, cylindrical, spherical ones we all learn:
- parabolic cylindrical
- paraboloidal
- elliptic cylindrical
- prolate spheroidal
- oblate spheroidal
- bipolar
- toroidal
- conical
- confocal ellipsoidal
- confocal paraboloidal

But not Eddington-Finkelstein?

I think they’ll be in the next edition along with kruskel coordinates although they had to draw a geodesic at some locally time dependent point deciding on its relative worth and potential for student entanglement.

Time to get a new copy.

Likes PeroK
kpuding said:
Thanks all, I'll ask again later when i finish GR
I won't be here tomorrow ;).

For mathematical details on Diff Geo, consider William Boothby's Riemannian Geometry.

1. What is a physics study marathon?

A physics study marathon is an intense and focused study session where one dedicates a significant amount of time to studying physics in order to improve their understanding and knowledge of the subject.

2. How long should a physics study marathon last?

The duration of a physics study marathon can vary depending on the individual's goals and study habits. It can range from a few hours to several days. It is important to plan and pace oneself accordingly to avoid burnout.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a physics study marathon?

Participating in a physics study marathon can help improve one's understanding and retention of the subject material, as well as develop good study habits. It can also help boost confidence and prepare for exams or other assessments.

4. What are some book suggestions for a physics study marathon?

Some book suggestions for a physics study marathon include "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.

5. Are there any tips for a successful physics study marathon?

Some tips for a successful physics study marathon include setting specific goals, staying organized, taking breaks, and seeking help when needed. It is also important to have a quiet and distraction-free study environment.