Physics vs Education vs Undergraduate vs Graduate?

Which choice do you agree with, more?

1. Choice One

4 vote(s)
  2. Choice Two

2 vote(s)
  3. Choice Three

1 vote(s)
  4. Other.... (please explain)

1 vote(s)
  1. I would like to know which choice is more beneficial, efficient, worth it, et cetera:

Choice One--

Double Major in Both Physics and Education Studies, with a teacher licensure to be able to teach chemistry, physics, and/or mathematics at the secondary level.

Choice Two--

Major just in Physics, to then attain my masters in Secondary Education with a licensure....

Choice Three--

Major just in Physics, to then just attain my teaching licensure...

**Please assume that cost of the education is free, to say, and that the institution which I attend is adequate. I mostly want your responses to be about the pros/cons off of the choices and the sort.
  2. jcsd
  3. Hi grendel, are you from Spain by any chance? If that's the case, I think option 2 is the path you need to take. I believe the masters has now officially become requirement for teaching at high schools(bachiller) and middle schools (secundaria).
  4. Moonbear

Moonbear 11,955
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From a US perspective, we could strongly benefit from teachers who major in the subject they teach AND get the education pedagogy as well. In fact, that would also be a benefit if you opt for a graduate degree and teaching at a university. I don't know if it will be too much to handle the double major, but worth it if you can handle it.
  5. Nah, I'm residing in the U.S. of A., but I do fluently dominate Spanish because I'm nationally Mexican. Then again, I don't see myself in Europe, nevertheless Spain, post my alma-mater...
  6. I don't think I'd be able to cope with being a highschool teacher :(

Damn.. I had no idea highschool teachers had to have more than half of a bachelors.
  7. Having both in my bag of tricks would heighten my job security a bit. And, double-majoring wouldn't be a problem with rigorousness, but more with length and credit availability. I'd love to double major, but that means I wont be able to take certain subjects which I've been wanting to take.

This limit is something of which I'm not totally aware of yet, though. I am mostly hoping to gain acceptance to Berea College, where you are only allowed to take a certain number of credits until graduation, because tuition is completely free. So, if I was to double major, I would be happy in taking all of the topics to get me my majors in Physics and Teaching/Curriculum with a teaching licensure, but then I wouldn't be able take as many philosophy classes, which I adore...

But, I could always just read philosophy on my free time...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?