Physics vs Theoretical Physics - Help with choice of major please?

In summary, the individual differences between theoretical physics and regular physics in undergraduate programs may include variations in senior course requirements such as less emphasis on labs and more focus on math and computer courses. It is recommended to not specialize too much as an undergraduate, and instead tailor elective courses to personal interests. The University of Toronto is a highly regarded school for physics, but the definition of "best" can vary. It is possible to study theoretical physics at the graduate level, but it is not a standalone degree and one would instead specialize in a specific area such as theoretical particle physics or astrophysics theory. The likelihood of obtaining a government research job related to physics with a PhD is uncertain, as recruiters may not actively seek out candidates. The term "hon
bublik13
OK. I'm a high school student in Ontario, soon to be applying for university. I have a couple of questions.

First, I want details on the differences between theoretical physics, and regular physics. I seem to have a much heavier inclination towards theoretical physics, but it seems that there are very few major programs, and very few jobs that are available related to research.

Second, which university has the "best" physics program? And how does UofT compare, since it is the most convenient one for me to go to?

Third, is it possible to get an undergrad major in Physics, but get a master's or PhD in Theoretical physics?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
PS. What is the likelyhood of getting a government research job related to physics with a PhD?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. As far as undergraduate programs go, the differences will be specific to the particular school. Generally you could expect that a "theoretical physics" undergraduate program would have slightly different senior course requirements than a "regular" physics counter part - perhaps less concentration on labs and more on math or computer courses.

As an aside, it's best not to get too specialized in undergrad. If you think physics is the path for you, take honours physics and then tailor your electives to your interest. There is no advantage as far as getting into graduate school to having a fancy title to your degree. And no one at parties is going to be all that impressed that you're doing a degree in "theoretical physics."

2. Everyone has their own idea of how "best" is evaluated. In Canada the quality of physics education is, I don't believe, as diverse as it is in the US. Most universities have good enough programs that you won't have problems getting into graduate school (at least as far as the quality of your undergraduate institution is concerned) and thus the decisive factor for many students can come down to convenience or cost. The University of Toronto (I'm assuming since you're in Ontario you didn't mean University of Texas or University of Trinidad) is a very good school.

3. Yes - sort of. "Theoretical physics" isn't itself a graduate degree. You would study theoretical particle physics, or condensed matter theory, or astrophysics theory - not simply "theory."

4. It's difficult to say. They won't come knocking on your door (although for the record, we did have recruiters come to our department now and then - usually from the military).

Choppy said:
1. As far as undergraduate programs go, the differences will be specific to the particular school. Generally you could expect that a "theoretical physics" undergraduate program would have slightly different senior course requirements than a "regular" physics counter part - perhaps less concentration on labs and more on math or computer courses.

As an aside, it's best not to get too specialized in undergrad. If you think physics is the path for you, take honours physics and then tailor your electives to your interest. There is no advantage as far as getting into graduate school to having a fancy title to your degree. And no one at parties is going to be all that impressed that you're doing a degree in "theoretical physics."

2. Everyone has their own idea of how "best" is evaluated. In Canada the quality of physics education is, I don't believe, as diverse as it is in the US. Most universities have good enough programs that you won't have problems getting into graduate school (at least as far as the quality of your undergraduate institution is concerned) and thus the decisive factor for many students can come down to convenience or cost. The University of Toronto (I'm assuming since you're in Ontario you didn't mean University of Texas or University of Trinidad) is a very good school.

3. Yes - sort of. "Theoretical physics" isn't itself a graduate degree. You would study theoretical particle physics, or condensed matter theory, or astrophysics theory - not simply "theory."

4. It's difficult to say. They won't come knocking on your door (although for the record, we did have recruiters come to our department now and then - usually from the military).

Thank you for the help, it was indeed what I needed. Just one thing, you mention "honours" physics. I've heard of honours programs in university, but how do you take them? Is there just an honours program for every course, similar to an AP program in high-school? If so, what are the requirements, usually?

Sorry, "honours" is another term that means different things at different schools.

I meant it to imply a concentration in the subject that's strong enough to get you into graduate school. Some schools will offer lighter versions of a major where you have more elective choices, but your core coursework may not be enough to qualify you to on to graduate work.

I understand your dilemma and I am happy to provide some insights and guidance. First, let's start with the difference between regular physics and theoretical physics. Regular physics deals with the study of the physical laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It is a broad field that covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. On the other hand, theoretical physics focuses on developing and testing theories to explain the fundamental laws of the universe, often using mathematical models and simulations. It is a more specialized and theoretical approach to physics.

In terms of job opportunities, it is true that there may be fewer positions available in theoretical physics compared to regular physics. However, there are still many opportunities for those with a strong background in theoretical physics, such as research positions in universities, government labs, and private companies. It is also worth noting that many advancements in physics and other scientific fields have been made through theoretical research.

When it comes to choosing a university, I recommend looking for one with a strong physics program that offers courses and research opportunities in theoretical physics. The University of Toronto is a reputable institution with a highly ranked physics program, so it could be a good choice for you. However, I also encourage you to explore other universities and their programs to find the best fit for your interests and goals.

Regarding your question about getting an undergraduate major in physics and a graduate degree in theoretical physics, it is certainly possible. Many universities offer combined programs or allow students to specialize in a specific area of physics during their graduate studies. It is important to research the specific requirements and opportunities at the universities you are considering.

As for the likelihood of getting a government research job related to physics with a PhD, it ultimately depends on your skills, experience, and the job market at the time. However, having a PhD in physics can open up many opportunities in research, academia, and industry, so it is a valuable and versatile degree.

In conclusion, I recommend exploring your interests in both regular and theoretical physics, and choosing a university and program that aligns with your goals. Keep in mind that your education and career in physics can take many paths, and it is important to stay curious and open to new opportunities. Best of luck in your decision-making and future studies!

1. What is the difference between physics and theoretical physics?

Physics is the study of the natural world and its laws, while theoretical physics is a branch of physics that focuses on developing and exploring theories and models to explain the fundamental nature of the universe.

2. Which major would be more suitable for someone interested in research?

Both physics and theoretical physics majors involve research, but theoretical physics may be more suitable for those interested in theoretical research and developing new ideas and models.

3. Are there any specific career paths for each major?

Both majors can lead to various career paths, such as research positions in academia or industry, teaching, or working in fields such as engineering or finance. However, a theoretical physics major may be more geared towards research and academic positions.

4. Is one major more challenging than the other?

Both majors require a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. However, theoretical physics may involve more abstract thinking and complex mathematical concepts, making it more challenging for some individuals.

5. Can I switch between majors if I change my mind?

It is possible to switch between majors, but it may require taking additional courses to catch up on any missed material. It is important to carefully consider your interests and goals before making a decision on which major to pursue.