1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics with rigorous math - need advice

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    Hi all, I have a doubt regarding the connection between physics and math. I'm studying physics at college but I'm a little confused. My main area of interest is general relativity, so what I really want to do is to work on that area, however I prefer (and I have more hability) to atack problems with rigorous math rather with physical intuition.

The point here is: I have more hability when rigorous math is involved, however I don't want to become mathematician, I want to work with physics in general relativity. I know that physics needs experiment, and that is why I feel confused.

Can someone give me an advice about that ? Is there a way to combine the study of physics with rigorous math or it's only possible to work with physics through experiments ?

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry if I've said something very silly, if I did is because I really don't understand this completely.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2
    Well I'm sure that other members will be much more equipped to answer your question, but it sounds to me like you just described the field of mathematical physics.

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3
    Possibly what PiAreSquared said. Physics doesn't only require experiment. There's both theory and experiment and they aren't mutually exclusive either. I think "rigorous" in this case may be ill-defined. What courses are you taking right now? Rigorous math in a physicist's eyes may be completely different than that of a mathematician's. If you are only taking an introductory sequence right now, the math will become more interesting in your later courses, but it won't be on the level of say, real analysis.

5. Nov 1, 2012 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where on the path are you? High school? Grad school? What math have you taken?

If you want meaningful responses to this sort of question you need to provide some details.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook