Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pick the charity PF will donate to!

1. Animal Humane Society

20 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. Parkinson's Disease Foundation

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. The Conservation Fund

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Carnegie Institution for Science

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  5. Give Kids The World

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. May 23, 2012 #1
    PF will be donating $25 to the charity of the communities choosing. Vote now! Poll ends May 30th!

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2
    First vote! Animals.

4. May 23, 2012 #3
    I think the Humane Society won last time too lol

5. May 23, 2012 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No, I think Parkinson's won last time. This time Humane society should win. Several of us lost beloved pets this month and would appreciate a donation to the animal shelters.

6. May 23, 2012 #5
    May I also suggest "Big Cat Rescue" which rescues abused tiger, lion and several other big cats from various locations of USA and give them a final home.

7. May 23, 2012 #6
    I'll add it to the next donation poll, thanks!

8. May 23, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I love my dog, and before we found and adopted him he had been at the local ASPCA shelter from Mid-may until the end of September. He rarely leaves my side. I think animal shelters need the help because people are abandoning pets in poor economic times.

9. May 24, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I donate to the local shelter (where we got Duke) and when she finds deals on pet-food (often bags that are torn in shipping/handling), she will snap them up and we'll donate those, too. Plus, shelters need cleaning supplies, disinfectants, etc. There is a store in the county seat that often offers bulk prices on remaindered supplies like that. Those go to the shelter, too.

10. May 24, 2012 #9

Ryan_m_b

They're all great charities it's hard to choose! Whoever wins I'll donate $10 to second place.

11. May 24, 2012 #10
    Though I love science, life is more important. I'd go for Animal Humane Society.

Hope science gets the second place!! :biggrin:

12. May 24, 2012 #11
    Thanks Ryan!

13. May 24, 2012 #12

BruceW

Homework Helper

I vote for oxfam :)

14. May 25, 2012 #13

Danger

Gold Member

I've never heard of the last 3.
    I love Lucifer T. Cat more than almost anyone or anything that I know, and seriously would kill anybody who hurt her, but I have to put innocent humans ahead of innocent animals. For that reason, I voted for Parkinson's. I'm in no position to contribute to any charity (I'm on AISH, so I'm the recipient of charity), but my first choice is STARS. That is totally irrelevant to anyone who doesn't live in my area. (It stands for Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society, and is the flying ambulance that so many of us in rural areas owe our lives to.) It costs a couple of thousand bucks per hour to keep one of those choppers in the air, but they save hundreds of people every year.
    Next to that, my favourite would be Unicef. Kids don't even carry the little boxes around on Hallowe'en any more, so I don't know where their funding comes from.

15. May 25, 2012 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And I'll donate $10 to the third place!!

16. May 25, 2012 #15
    That a way MM!! :)

17. May 27, 2012 #16
    I voted for Carnegie only because the Protect Jimmy Snyder Fund was not listed. Surely this oversight will be corrected next year. PM me if you want to know where to send money, cash only please, no checks or credit cards.

18. May 29, 2012 #17
    One more day to vote!

19. May 30, 2012 #18
    Animal Humane Society has won. Sending the money now. Thanks all!!!

20. May 30, 2012 #19

Evo

Wonderful, thanks Greg!

21. May 30, 2012 #20

Ryan_m_b

Just made the $10 donation to Carnegie Institution for Science :smile: great idea to do this Greg!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook