Picturing wave/particle duality

• Thread starter SimonA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Duality
In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of waves in terms of quantum mechanics and how it can be difficult to understand as it involves both particle and wave-like properties. Different analogies, such as a wave in water, are used to try and visualize this concept, but they are limited. The conversation also touches on the concept of time in relation to quantum mechanics and the limitations of our understanding. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities and challenges of trying to understand quantum mechanics.
Sorry Simon I forgot to ask

What are these things that travel at c and experience zero interval paths?

NL

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NewLocality

Thanks for the further explanations. I've come to the conclusion that it is indeed the "meaning of zero interval paths" (especially in terms of "the minus sign in the metric ") that I'm finding challenging to accept in four dimensional space. This is the very reason I find extra dimensions so compelling. You mention occams razor, but surely occams razor follows Einsteins statement that things should be as simple as possible - but no simpler. After all if energy can be transferred through this extra dimension(s) in some way (which could be called "emission" + whatever the opposite of emission is :) ), then bells theorem can be accepted without redefining locality in terms of what it is actually referring to - the relativistic nature of all non quantum things. And what's more, though I don't agree with much of what M Theory has become, the maths of the five versions of string theory did (apparently) fit together so well into the 11 dimensions of M that it kind of makes sense to me that occams razor could be said to be itself violated by considering a purely four dimensional reality. And please note I'm in no ways talking about many "worlds" or universe interpretations as I think they are just so against occams razor (let alone common sense) its rediculous.

What are these things that travel at c and experience zero interval paths?

Waves of energy moving between quantised energy structures ?

But more seriously, there are a whole load of problems I have with you relying on space time as being 'leaped across'. You say

The electromagnetic energy exists either in the emitting system or the absorber system but has no independent existence in space-time between the two.

What about the mass of planets bending the path of light between 'emitter' and 'detector' ? In my thoughts on extra dimensions space and time themselves are like the outer edge of the of a multi-dimensional reality (hinted at in things like the casimir effect). It could be thought of that matter kind of protrudes into spacetime and we see the tip of the iceberg if you like. In that way all the observable changes that occur to the light (such as bending or red shift) that we only notice over huge distances (in nature) become explainable even though the energy is not actually moving in timespace. After all we have good reason to believe gravity "leaks", although to me it would be best to say that the nature of gravity is not confined to spacetime, but due to the nature of the non local dimension(s), it naturally has less influence on that which skirts the boundary between space-time and the non local dimensions - i.e. that which relatavistically does not experience spacetime as anything other than a single point.

Maybe I need to think more about your "zero interval paths", but to me you seem to be describing something quite similar to what I am, less some explanatory power.

I would also be curious what you opinion is on the "bending of light" before I suggest the next issue I have with it :)

Interesting thinking about it though.

Thanks

Simon

Firstly, I’d like to say that space-time is full of zero interval paths connecting remote pairs of events; there is no escaping from this.

The question is; do these have causal significance or are they just an oddity and of no particular value to nature, as she seems to ignore their potential benefit and use third party carriers to mediate force between remote systems?

I think not; the minus sign in the metric is the jewel in the crown, which allows nature to orchestrate what goes on across the universe.

It allows Bell’s inequality to be violated whist maintaining the integrity of special relativity.

It is simple, elegant, and beautiful and what’s more it is achieved in four-dimensional space-time.

With on stroke interval locality explains.

1. Why the carrier of light has no mass.
2. What the roles of waves and quantization of energy are. (Wave-particle duality)
3. How interference works (Multiple slit experiments)
4. How observations of remote measurements become correlated (Particle entanglement)
5. How information gets about so quickly

And it introduces new notions such as relativistic super-positioning of states and relativistically induced uncertainty. The minus sign in the metric transforms a classical theory into the foundation of quantum mechanics.

“It may be challenging to accept the meaning of zero interval paths” but the rewards for doing so are legion.

Moving on you say

“There are a whole load of problems I with you relying on space-time as being leaped across”

Firstly; a point of definition I will sometimes refer to space and time. These are what can be measured with rules and clocks and be represented on a space time diagram.

When I refer to space-time I am thinking of the continuum characterised by Minkowski’s metric or perhaps Schwarzschild’s metric where the world is influenced by gravity.

The energy you refer to that leaps across space and time does so only because of the way the parameters are measured and represented. In space-time events become super-positioned and the corresponding quantum systems will also be become super-positioned allowing energy to pass “instantaneously” from one system to another. But our measurements with respect to these events will reveal the energy to jump from one time and place to another.

“What about the mass of planets bending the path of light between the emitter and detector”

Have a look at Schwarzschild’s metric. You will see that it to is also characterised by the minus sign. In other words proper interval locality is equally valid in the equations of both special and general relativity.

I have not investigated the Casimir effect with respect to proper interval locality, it has to be one step at a time at the moment, however it is the nature of interval locality theory that there is a lot going on at every location in the world since super-positioning is universal, I think I would be looking for answers from the four dimensions with which we are reasonably familiar with before losing oneself beyond the “edge of the multi-dimensional reality”.

Bending of light.

Between a donor system and an absorber there are an infinite number of paths where by the systems become super-positioned but most of the super-positioning results in annihilation of the wave-function intensity only the limited number of paths where the donor phases reinforce each other will there be any probability of interaction. The paths that produce reinforcement of the wave function will depend on the distribution of matter between donor and detector. This can result in light bending or the direction of polarisation being changed it all depends on the available paths between donor and detector.

Overly speculative posts (and discussions of personal theories) are a violation of our PF guidelines. Thread closed.