PID Control Equation in Z-Domain

In summary, this simplification of the laplace TF of a PID controller can be written as: G(s) = K_P+\dfrac{K_I}{s}+K_Ds
bsodmike
How does one go from the simple substitution to the end result?

[tex]\dfrac{U(z)}{E(z)}=K'_P+\dfrac{K'_ITz}{z-1}+\dfrac{K'_D(z-1)}{Tz}=\dfrac{K_Pz^2+K_Iz+K_D}{z(z-1)}[/tex]

Found the above simplification in http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/skoge/prost/proceedings/acc04/Papers/0008_WeA02.5.pdf" in Eq 23-24.

Edit: Here's my attempt going back to first principles. In the s-domain, the laplace TF of a PID controller can be written as

[tex]G(s) = K_P+\dfrac{K_I}{s}+K_Ds[/tex]

If I were to attempt to simplify the above by considering a = Kp, b = Ki, c = Kd

[tex]a+\dfrac{b}{s}+cs = a + \dfrac{b+cs^2}{s}=\dfrac{as+b+cs^2}{s}[/tex]

Translate to the Z-domain by substituting

[tex]s = \dfrac{z-1}{Tz}[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{a\left(\dfrac{z-1}{Tz}\right)+b+c\left(\dfrac{z-1}{Tz}\right)^2}{\dfrac{z- 1}{Tz}}=\dfrac{a\left(\dfrac{z-1}{Tz}\right)+b+c\left(\dfrac{z^2-2z+1}{T^2z^2}\right)}{\dfrac{z-1}{Tz}}[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{a\left(\dfrac{z-1}{Tz}\right)+b+c\left(\dfrac{z^2-2z+1}{T^2z^2}\right)}{\dfrac{z-1}{Tz}} = \dfrac{a(z-1)+b(Tz)+c(\dfrac{z^2-2z+1}{Tz})}{z-1}[/tex]

Multiplying through top and bottom by 'z'

[tex]z \times \dfrac{a(z-1)+b(Tz)+c(\dfrac{z^2-2z+1}{Tz})}{z-1}=\dfrac{az(z-1)+b(Tz^2)+c(\dfrac{z^2-2z+1}{T})}{z(z-1)}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are having problems with. Getting from (22) to (23) to (24) is just algebra.

Did you miss the fact that the constants in (23) and (24) are different? The continuous ones are K'p etc, the discrete ones are Kp etc.

Thanks Aleph.

Figured this much out; missed out on the primes...

Kp + (Ki T z)/(z - 1) + (Kd (z - 1))/(T z) = (Kd - 2*Kd*z - Kp*T*z + Kd*z^2 + Kp*T*z^2 + Ki*T^2*z^2)/(T*(-1 + z)*z)

Collecting z's gives: Kd/T + ((-2 Kd - Kp T) z)/T + ((Kd + Kp T + Ki T^2) z^2)/T Therefore, K_D = K_D'/T; K_I = -(K_P'T + 2 K_D')/T; K_P = (K_D' + K_P' T + K_I' T^2)/T

Last edited:
The continuous controller response function is a + b/s + cs

Then he substitutes s =(z-1)/(Tz)

and gets a + bTz/(z-1) + c(z-1)/(Tz)

Putting everything over z(z-1) gives

[ az(z-1) + bTz^2 + (c/T)(z-1)^2 ] / z(z-1)

The numerator is a quadratic expression in z, so this is of the form

[ Az^2 + Bz + C ] / z(z-1)

for some constants A B and C.

You were heading towards working out the exact formulas for A B and C in terms of a b c and T, but he doesn't bother to do that. He is only interested in the form of the expression, not the exact details.

AlephZero said:
You were heading towards working out the exact formulas for A B and C in terms of a b c and T, but he doesn't bother to do that. He is only interested in the form of the expression, not the exact details.

Indeed! Much appreciated.

Cheers, Mike.

1. What is the PID control equation in the Z-domain?

The PID control equation in the Z-domain is a mathematical representation of the Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) controller in the discrete-time domain. It is used to calculate the control action based on the error between the desired setpoint and the actual output of the system.

2. How is the PID control equation derived in the Z-domain?

The PID control equation in the Z-domain is derived by converting the continuous-time PID controller into a discrete-time controller using the Z-transform. This allows for the controller to be implemented in digital systems.

3. What are the components of the PID control equation in the Z-domain?

The PID control equation in the Z-domain consists of three terms - the proportional, integral, and derivative terms. These terms are multiplied by their respective gain constants and added together to calculate the control action.

4. How is the PID control equation used in practice?

The PID control equation in the Z-domain is used in various industries, such as manufacturing, robotics, and process control, to control the behavior of a system. It is implemented in software or hardware and continuously calculates the control action based on the error signal.

5. What are the advantages of using the PID control equation in the Z-domain?

The PID control equation in the Z-domain offers several advantages, such as simple implementation, robustness, and adaptability to different systems. It also provides a balance between stability and responsiveness, making it a popular choice for industrial control applications.