Piecewise function of the following function given

In summary, to rewrite the function f(x) = ||x|-1| as a piecewise function, you need to consider the absolute value functions y = |x| and y = |x-1|. By graphing these functions, you can see that the final function has a W shape, with each piece of the W defined by a different absolute value function on a specific interval. By writing out the equations for each piece, you can come up with a piecewise definition for f(x).
francis21

Homework Statement

Question: Rewrite the function f(x) =||x|-1| as a piecewise function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried considering the following absolute value functions:

1)|x|
|x| = x, if x [tex]\geq[/tex] 0
= -x, if x < 0

2) |x-1|
|x-1| = x-1, if x [tex]\geq[/tex] 1
=-(x-1), if x < 1

But I'm not sure on how to go from there, or if I did something wrong with the process shown above. I was thinking that the there might be something wrong with part 2).

Physics news on Phys.org
francis21 said:

Homework Statement

Question: Rewrite the function f(x) =||x|-1| as a piecewise function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried considering the following absolute value functions:

1)|x|
|x| = x, if x [tex]\geq[/tex] 0
= -x, if x < 0

2) |x-1|
|x-1| = x-1, if x [tex]\geq[/tex] 1
=-(x-1), if x < 1
This one won't do you much good, as it isn't at all like your function. A better choice is y = |x| - 1
francis21 said:
But I'm not sure on how to go from there, or if I did something wrong with the process shown above. I was thinking that the there might be something wrong with part 2).

First, graph y = |x| - 1. The graph is similar to y = |x|, but with a downward translation.
Second, graph y = ||x| - 1|. This graph is identical to the graph of y = |x| - 1 on the points for which y >= 0. For the points at which y < 0, that part of the graph is reflected across the y-axis. Your final graph should have a W shape.

Write the equation of each piece of the W and specify the interval on which that equation is defined, then you'll have your piecewise definition of y = ||x| - 1|.

What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different expressions for different intervals or regions of the input variable. It is often used to model real-life situations where different rules apply to different conditions.

How do you graph a piecewise function?

To graph a piecewise function, you first need to plot the points for each expression or interval. Then, you can connect the points with a line or curve to show the different segments. It is important to pay attention to any discontinuities or points where the function is not defined.

What is the domain of a piecewise function?

The domain of a piecewise function is the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. It may be different for each expression or interval within the function. It is important to verify the domain of each segment before graphing the function.

How do you find the range of a piecewise function?

The range of a piecewise function is the set of all possible output values for the given input values. It can be found by evaluating each expression or interval and determining the set of resulting output values. The overall range of the function is the union of the ranges for each segment.

Can a piecewise function be differentiable?

Yes, a piecewise function can be differentiable at points where each segment is differentiable and the slopes of the segments match at the point of intersection. However, there may be points of non-differentiability where the slopes do not match or there is a discontinuity in the function.