1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piecewise function of the following function given

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question: Rewrite the function f(x) =||x|-1| as a piecewise function.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried considering the following absolute value functions:

1)|x|
    |x| = x, if x [tex]\geq[/tex] 0
    = -x, if x < 0

2) |x-1|
    |x-1| = x-1, if x [tex]\geq[/tex] 1
    =-(x-1), if x < 1

But I'm not sure on how to go from there, or if I did something wrong with the process shown above. I was thinking that the there might be something wrong with part 2).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This one won't do you much good, as it isn't at all like your function. A better choice is y = |x| - 1
    First, graph y = |x| - 1. The graph is similar to y = |x|, but with a downward translation.
    Second, graph y = ||x| - 1|. This graph is identical to the graph of y = |x| - 1 on the points for which y >= 0. For the points at which y < 0, that part of the graph is reflected across the y-axis. Your final graph should have a W shape.

Write the equation of each piece of the W and specify the interval on which that equation is defined, then you'll have your piecewise definition of y = ||x| - 1|.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook