Pinacol Rearrangement of asymmetrical diol

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter qkfqkekr
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
qkfqkekr
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
write down the mechanism of pinacol arrangement of the following diols
Relevant Equations
none
I have a question for the first part a), pinacol rearrangement of 1,1-diphenylethane-1,2-diol (did I name that right..?).
How would you know if protonation takes place on the hydroxyl molecule attached to carbon 1 or carbon 2?
My guess is that the hydroxyl group at carbon 1 would be protonated, since leaving of the hydroxyl group (as water) will yield tertiary carbocation, which is stable.
Is this approach correct?
1628247401136.png



Thank you for your help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
qkfqkekr said:
Homework Statement:: write down the mechanism of pinacol arrangement of the following diols
Relevant Equations:: none

I have a question for the first part a), pinacol rearrangement of 1,1-diphenylethane-1,2-diol (did I name that right..?).
How would you know if protonation takes place on the hydroxyl molecule attached to carbon 1 or carbon 2?
My guess is that the hydroxyl group at carbon 1 would be protonated, since leaving of the hydroxyl group (as water) will yield tertiary carbocation, which is stable.
Is this approach correct?
View attachment 287170


Thank you for your help!
If the hydroxyl group at carbon 1 was protonated, then which group would undergo rearrangement for the piñacolada to become piñacologne? I believe it needs to be the hydroxyl group on carbon 2.