Ping pong and golf ball dropped in vacuum: same acceleration or velocity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Max Leo
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Warning: The Posting Template must be used when startng a thread in the Homework areas
Here is an unsettling question from a practice set that I've been working on today. Unsettling because the answer key contradicts my answer so I need a second thought.

A pingpong ball and a golf ball are dropped in a vacuum chamber from the same height and at the same time. When they have fallen halfway, they have the same

A. Potential energy
B. Kinetic energy
C. Acceleration
D. Velocity

My answer is C. Acceleration since this is what I've learned from college physics. But the answer key says it is D. Velocity. So I'm quite confused.


Help me guys. Thank you in advance! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Max Leo said:
Here is an unsettling question from a practice set that I've been working on today. Unsettling because the answer key contradicts my answer so I need a second thought.

A pingpong ball and a golf ball are dropped in a vacuum chamber from the same height and at the same time. When they have fallen halfway, they have the same

A. Potential energy
B. Kinetic energy
C. Acceleration
D. Velocity

My answer is C. Acceleration since this is what I've learned from college physics. But the answer key says it is D. Velocity. So I'm quite confused.


Help me guys. Thank you in advance! :)
I think there are two answers of this question.
 
Both the accelerations and the velocities are the same.

ehild
 
Do not believe something just because you are told it - is there a good reason from the laws of physics to believe that C is correct?
What are your reasons from physics for rejecting each one of the other answers?
As you go through the reasons, the correct answer should occur to you.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Satvik Pandey
Thanks guys! They have the same acceleration so the change in magnitude of velocity must be the same at any given time. It's just this is a question from an admission test and I find it unsettling that the machine will mark one correct and the other wrong...