Terminal Speed of Golf Ball Dropped from 25m

In summary, the terminal speed of a golf ball with a mass of 45g and diameter of 4.3cm, dropped from a height of 25m with a drag coefficient of 0.35 and air density of 1.2kg/m^3, is 220.99m/s. The formula used to calculate terminal speed is v_t = sqrt(\frac{2*mg}{CpA}). It will not reach the terminal speed regardless of the height it is dropped from. The equation to find the velocity of the ball is v=v_t(1-e^(-kt)), where k is the drag coefficient divided by the mass and t is time. To solve the differential equation for this situation, the formula
ProBasket
will a golf ball of mass 45g and diamter 4.3cm reach terminal speed when dropped from a height of 25m? the drag coefficient is 0.35 and the density of air is 1.2kg/m^3.

using the formula [tex]v_t = sqrt(\frac{2*mg}{CpA})[/tex]

[tex]v_t = sqrt(\frac{2*(45g)(9.8m/s^2)}{(.35)(1.2kg/m^3)(0.043m)})[/tex]

so pluggeed that into my calculator, i found the terminal speed of 220.99m/s.
this is where i got stuck, how would i know if it reaches terminal speed or not when dropping from a height of 25m?

Physics news on Phys.org
it will not reach the terminal speed nomatter how high you drop the ball...
the velocity of the ball is...
v=v_t(1-e^(-kt))
it will get closer and closer to the terminal speed when time passes, but it will never "reach" it

i have a few questions, how did you get the formula v=v_t(1-e^(-kt))? and what does k and t stand for and how do i find it?

solve the following DE
[tex] -m\frac{dv}{dt}= -mg+ bv [/tex]
b is the drag coefficient (i believe this is how ppl called it)
k=b/m ...and t is time...

Last edited:
sorry but a few more questions if you don't mind. how extactly would i find t? I don't think using one of the kenematics will help because i will be missing a lot of info.

you know calculus, do you?
[tex] m\frac{dv}{dt}= mg- bv [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dv}{dt}=g-\frac{b}{m}v[/tex]
[tex] \frac{dv}{dt}=g-kv[/tex]
[tex] dt = \frac{dv}{g-kv} [/tex]
[tex]\int dt = \int \frac{dv}{g-kv} [/tex]
[tex] t = \frac{-1}{k} ln(g-kv) + C [/tex]
[tex] v(t) = \frac{g}{k}-\frac{e^{-k(t-C)}}{k} [/tex]
[tex] v(t) = \frac{g}{k}-\frac{C'e^{-k(t)}}{k} [/tex]

apply the initial condition [itex]v(0)=0[/itex] this implies [itex] C'=g [/itex]
therefore,
[tex] v(t) = \frac{g}{k}-\frac{ge^{-k(t)}}{k} [/tex]
[tex] v(t) = \frac{g}{k}(1-e^{-k(t)}) [/tex]
[tex] v(t) = \frac{gm}{b}(1-e^{-mt/b}) [/tex]

whereas gm/b is the terminal velocity

ah i see, thanks for the help!

Related to Terminal Speed of Golf Ball Dropped from 25m

1. What is the terminal speed of a golf ball dropped from 25m?

The terminal speed of a golf ball dropped from 25m is approximately 53 meters per second (m/s).

2. How is the terminal speed of a golf ball calculated?

The terminal speed of a golf ball is calculated using the formula Vt = √(2mg/ρAC), where Vt is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area of the ball, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. Why does the terminal speed of a golf ball change with different altitudes?

The terminal speed of a golf ball changes with different altitudes because air density decreases with increasing altitude. This means that the drag force on the ball decreases, allowing it to reach a higher terminal speed.

4. Does the material of the golf ball affect its terminal speed?

Yes, the material of the golf ball can affect its terminal speed. For example, a golf ball made of a denser material will have a higher terminal speed than a golf ball made of a less dense material.

5. What other factors can affect the terminal speed of a golf ball?

Other factors that can affect the terminal speed of a golf ball include air temperature, air pressure, and wind speed. These factors can alter the air density and therefore impact the drag force on the ball.