Pion annihilation Feynman diagram

In summary: You were closest with this. But you didn't start with the quarks grouped into the pions as mfb said in post #7. You don't need any more lines.
Physicsphysics
π+ + π- → γ + γ

How do you represent this in a Feynman diagram showing the individual quark? I am very confused please help!

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template. Own effort below.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the pions are made up of? If you don't, look it up. (both have 2 quarks)

Are you playing a game?

• Skeptical
Likes Replusz
Replusz said:
Do you know what the pions are made up of? If you don't, look it up. (both have 2 quarks)
Yes, the pi plus is an up and an anti down, and anti up and down for the minus. The only way I can think to draw that is with the down and anti down annihilating into a photon and same for the up and anti up? I'm not sure if there's a way to do it as one diagram?

Likes vanhees71
That is one diagram.
You can connect some quarks with a gluon if you like.

mfb said:
That is one diagram.
You can connect some quarks with a gluon if you like.

Um, so far I have this? Is this what you mean?
pion_annihilation.jpg

I would start the diagram with the individual pions as groups (first the two quarks of the pi-, then the two quarks of the pi+, or vice versa), even though that means two lines have to cross.

mfb said:
I would start the diagram with the individual pions as groups (first the two quarks of the pi-, then the two quarks of the pi+, or vice versa), even though that means two lines have to cross.

Right. Where the lines cross, I assumed another interaction happens? I found this while on a googling rampage
1587057404156.png

from https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/235366/feynman-diagram-pi0-pi0-rightarrow-pi-pi
If this person is right (I am far too inexperienced to tell that as is clear!) then by rotating this through 180° gets another valid diagram. Now, if this is all true, can the quark-antiquark pairs annihilate into a photon each, or do the π0s decay into two photons each like this?
1587058270775.png

Of course the other option is I have overcomplicated this horrendously, but from this fudge of a situation I have this:
1587058445238.png

Thank you for your patience 😅😅

Physicsphysics said:
Where the lines cross, I assumed another interaction happens?
No. The position of the lines is largely arbitrary and crossing lines don't mean anything.

There is no weak interaction here.

Likes Physicsphysics
Physicsphysics said:
How do you represent this in a Feynman diagram showing the individual quark?

Why do you want this? A Feynman diagram is a calculational tool, and this calxulation is much easier in terms of pions than quarks. (Probably no`t even possible with quarks, at least not if you want to get the right answer)

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you want this? A Feynman diagram is a calculational tool, and this xalxulation is much easier in terms of pions than quarks. (Probably no`t even possible with quarks, at least not if you want to get the right answer)
This is a task set by my professor and we're meant to show the quarks explicitly. We've been taught the basic rules with Feynman diagrams but honestly not much of the maths so this is almost entirely guesswork. It is quite frustrating with the hilariously superficial "understanding" I have atm 😅

1587724185591.png

After some discussion, this was the conclusion... Is this correct?

Physicsphysics said:
After some discussion, this was the conclusion... Is this correct?
mfb said:

Are you reading what we write?

Vanadium 50 said:
Are you reading what we write?
Ok then, I'll assume it's wrong. Thank you for your reply.

Is this a possible solution

Attachments

• IMG_4592.JPG
    IMG_4592.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 268
mfb said:

Physicsphysics said:
Um, so far I have this? Is this what you mean?
View attachment 260762
You were closest with this. But you didn't start with the quarks grouped into the pions as mfb said in post #7. You don't need any more lines.

1. What is a Pion annihilation Feynman diagram?

A Pion annihilation Feynman diagram is a graphical representation used in particle physics to depict the interaction between two particles, specifically a pion and an antipion, resulting in their annihilation and the creation of other particles.

2. How does a Pion annihilation Feynman diagram work?

The diagram shows the exchange of a virtual photon between the pion and antipion, which leads to their mutual annihilation. This process is described by the laws of quantum electrodynamics and can result in the creation of other particles, such as gamma rays or electrons.

3. What is the significance of a Pion annihilation Feynman diagram?

Pion annihilation Feynman diagrams are important tools in understanding the fundamental interactions between particles and the creation of new particles. They also provide a visual representation of complex mathematical equations and help scientists make predictions about the outcomes of particle collisions.

4. How is a Pion annihilation Feynman diagram different from other Feynman diagrams?

A Pion annihilation Feynman diagram is specific to the annihilation of a pion and an antipion, while other Feynman diagrams may represent different interactions between particles. Additionally, the particles involved and the resulting products may differ in each type of Feynman diagram.

5. What is the connection between Pion annihilation and the Standard Model of particle physics?

Pion annihilation is a process that occurs within the framework of the Standard Model, which is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. Pion annihilation Feynman diagrams provide a visual representation of this process and help validate the predictions of the Standard Model.