Pivoting Antenna Deployment Hinge

In summary: Thank you for your time!In summary, the electrical engineering graduate student is looking for help with developing a pivoting hinge mechanism for deployment of an antenna. They have a rough sketch and are concerned about design flaws and whether the mechanism will be susceptible to icing.
dbelgiovane
Hello,

I am an electrical engineering graduate student building an antenna which will be mounted under the fuselage of twin engine airplane which will be taking remote sensing measurements. Besides the antenna design I have also been tasked with developing the method of deployment as well. deployment is required during takeoff and landing because it is 36 inches tall. The antenna is conical in shape with a base diameter of 10 inches.

I have a few ideas about the design, but since I am not a mechanical engineer, I could really use some help.

I seems like some type of pivoting hinge deployment is the simplest. and I have a rough figure of the basic sketch, but basically the pivoting hinge should be able to go from 0 - 90 degrees. Ideally, it should be electronically controlled. I the idea I had uses an air cylinder, but these may be issues due to temperature constraints. Additionally, this design may take up too large of an area. The use of a scissor lift type hinge might be a useful method but, I have not come up with a good implementation yet.

So, a most ideal design would be able to deal with subzero temperatures, be able to be mounted flush with the fuselage, be able to fit inside roughly a 12in by 12in space.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• pivot_hinge.png
    pivot_hinge.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 509
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Hey Guys, with regard to this concept, I came across tilt table that goes from 0-90 degrees:

http://www.schapmachine.com/ProductView/215/Automotive/Tilt_Table/

The overall design seems like enough torque can easily be generated it is low profile enough. I plan to install a servo motor which will raise an lower the platform.

My concerns are if I am to move forward with this concept, am I missing any design flaws. Will it be susceptible to icing and will all the joints move freely?

1. How does the pivoting antenna deployment hinge work?

The pivoting antenna deployment hinge is a mechanical device that allows for the controlled movement of an antenna. It typically consists of two or more hinges that are connected to each other, allowing for a range of motion. The antenna is attached to one end of the hinge, and the other end is typically connected to a base or support structure. By pivoting the hinge, the antenna can be directed in different directions, allowing for better signal reception.

2. What are the benefits of using a pivoting antenna deployment hinge?

The main benefit of using a pivoting antenna deployment hinge is that it allows for greater flexibility and control over the direction of the antenna. This can be especially useful in situations where the antenna needs to be adjusted frequently or where there are obstacles that may block the signal. Additionally, the hinge can help to reduce the strain on the antenna, increasing its lifespan and reducing the risk of damage.

3. Can a pivoting antenna deployment hinge be used for any type of antenna?

While the design of a pivoting antenna deployment hinge can vary, it can generally be used for any type of antenna. This includes both small antennas, such as those used for radio communication, and larger antennas, such as those used for satellite communication. However, it is important to ensure that the hinge is strong enough to support the weight and size of the antenna being used.

4. How do I choose the right pivoting antenna deployment hinge for my needs?

When choosing a pivoting antenna deployment hinge, there are a few factors to consider. These include the weight and size of the antenna, the range of motion needed, and the environment in which the hinge will be used. It is important to select a hinge that is strong enough to support the antenna and durable enough to withstand any environmental factors, such as wind or moisture.

5. Are there any maintenance or safety considerations for using a pivoting antenna deployment hinge?

Like any mechanical device, a pivoting antenna deployment hinge may require regular maintenance to ensure it functions properly. This may include lubrication of moving parts and periodic inspections for wear and tear. It is also important to follow safety guidelines when using the hinge, such as avoiding overloading it with too much weight or making sudden movements that could damage the antenna or hinge.