Plane that is constructed by vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction and definition of a plane using non-parallel vectors, as well as the concept of parallel vectors and the representation of a plane as a set of points. The conversation also touches on the definition of a parallelogram with adjacent sides represented by vectors.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :eek:

I found the following in my notes:

The plane that is constructed by two non-parallel vectors $\overrightarrow{v}$ and $\overrightarrow{w}$ consists of all the points of the form $a \overrightarrow{v}+b\overrightarrow{w}$, $a, b \in \mathbb{R}$.

The plane that is defined by $\overrightarrow{v}$ and $\overrightarrow{w}$ is called the plane that is produced by $\overrightarrow{v}$ and $\overrightarrow{w}$.

If $\overrightarrow{v}$ is a multiple of $\overrightarrow{w}$ and $\overrightarrow{w} \neq 0$, then $\overrightarrow{v}$ and $\overrightarrow{w}$ are parallel.

I am asked to find the plane that is produced by the two vectors $\overrightarrow{v_1}=(3, 8, 0)$ and $\overrightarrow{v_2}=(0, 3, 8)$.

Is the plane $a \overrightarrow{v_1}+b\overrightarrow{v_2}$ ?? Or is this only the form of points of the plane?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hello! :eek:

I found the following in my notes:

The plane that is constructed by two non-parallel vectors $\overrightarrow{v}$ and $\overrightarrow{w}$ consists of all the points of the form $a \overrightarrow{v}+b\overrightarrow{w}$, $a, b \in \mathbb{R}$.

The plane that is defined by $\overrightarrow{v}$ and $\overrightarrow{w}$ is called the plane that is produced by $\overrightarrow{v}$ and $\overrightarrow{w}$.

If $\overrightarrow{v}$ is a multiple of $\overrightarrow{w}$ and $\overrightarrow{w} \neq 0$, then $\overrightarrow{v}$ and $\overrightarrow{w}$ are parallel.

I am asked to find the plane that is produced by the two vectors $\overrightarrow{v_1}=(3, 8, 0)$ and $\overrightarrow{v_2}=(0, 3, 8)$.

Is the plane $a \overrightarrow{v_1}+b\overrightarrow{v_2}$ ?? Or is this only the form of points of the plane?? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari!

Yep. That is the plane. ;)

I guess that more formally it is indeed the form of a point in a plane.
Since a plane is a set of points, you might make it:
$$\{a \overrightarrow{v_1}+b\overrightarrow{v_2} : a,b \in \mathbb R\}$$
But I consider that nitpicking. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Hey mathmari!

Yep. That is the plane. ;)

I guess that more formally it is indeed the form of a point in a plane.
Since a plane is a set of points, you might make it:
$$\{a \overrightarrow{v_1}+b\overrightarrow{v_2} : a,b \in \mathbb R\}$$
But I consider that nitpicking. (Nerd)

I understand! (Yes)

I have also an other question...

Which is the parallelogram with adjacent sides the vectors $\overrightarrow{w}_1$ and $\overrightarrow{w}_2$ ?? (Wondering)

The set $$\{a \overrightarrow{w_1}+b\overrightarrow{w_2} : 0<a,b <1\}$$

?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I understand! (Yes)

I have also an other question...

Which is the parallelogram with adjacent sides the vectors $\overrightarrow{w}_1$ and $\overrightarrow{w}_2$ ?? (Wondering)

The set $$\{a \overrightarrow{w_1}+b\overrightarrow{w_2} : 0<a,b <1\}$$

?? (Wondering)

Yep! (Happy)

1. What is a plane constructed by vectors?

A plane constructed by vectors is a geometric concept that involves using vectors to define and create a flat surface in three-dimensional space. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and analyze various systems.

2. How are vectors used to construct a plane?

Vectors are used to construct a plane by defining two or more points on the plane and then finding the vector that connects these points. This vector, along with a normal vector to the plane, can be used to create an equation that describes the plane in three-dimensional space.

3. What are the properties of a plane constructed by vectors?

A plane constructed by vectors has several important properties, including being flat (meaning all points on the plane lie in the same plane), infinite in size, and having a normal vector that is perpendicular to the plane. It also has a unique equation that can be used to represent it in three-dimensional space.

4. How does the concept of a plane constructed by vectors relate to real-world applications?

The concept of a plane constructed by vectors has many real-world applications, such as in navigation systems, computer graphics, and physics simulations. It is also used in engineering and architecture to design and analyze structures in three-dimensional space.

5. What other mathematical concepts are related to planes constructed by vectors?

Planes constructed by vectors are closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as linear transformations, vector spaces, and matrices. These concepts are often used in conjunction with planes constructed by vectors to solve complex problems in mathematics and other scientific fields.