1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plasma Physics and Controlled fusion problems

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1
    Hello all physicists,

Actually, I am trying to solve Chen’s book problems which is titled Intro to Plasma Physics Controlled Fusion, 2ed. I encountered many steps that I would like to discuss with you which still not so clear in my mind. Please take a look into that problems either in your library or on >>http://books.google.com/books?id=To...S_7uJoqGzATm7vHCDQ&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false"<<

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The points that are for discussion(solved problems):

1-Problem 1-1: we use here the ideal gas equation…what about the Saha equation? It also links the temperature with the density? is n equivalent to n_n in ideal gas vs. Saha equation?

2-Problem 1-2: why we do not also integrate over (dz) since we are in cylindrical coordinates?

3-Problem 1-6: using Poisson equation: does that counterpart the meaning of quasineutrality?!

4-Problem 2-4: how can we have different Larmor radiuses(r_ 1and r_2) for the guiding center?

5-Problem 2-6: is that mathematically acceptable to take the radial component of E without that of B? and how can the radial component of E has a theta basis without radial basis?

6-Problem 2-9:why does the orbit follow this strange trajectory? in calculating the grad-B drift: do we always implement in plasma physics that grad-B is perpendicular to B(just as we assume between E and B for ExB drift) ?

7-Problem 3-4: is it mathematically allowable to cancel B from the cross product (with (n)) with that of the denominator?

8-Problem 3-5: where does this relation of delta(n) and (n’.L) come from?

9-Problem 3-7: why does the phase velocity follow the V_E velocity in direction? In (c): why the diamagnetic drift does not appear directly in the sum of lab frame velocities?

10-Problem 3-9: how can we end up with the change in B while we have just B in Ampere’s law and not grad-B ? the direction of J_D: should not it be in the opposite direction?

Thanks for help very much...

Abdurahman
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2010 #2
    is there any plasma physitist in this forum? :)

4. Jan 3, 2010 #3
    A lot of the problems don't seem to match your questions (judging by the link you provided). So post the problems, show your work and explain where you get stuck or what bothers you.

5. Jan 3, 2010 #4
    ok..i understand now..the google book doesnot contains the solved problems section...my questions are for solved problems in the book..

please check the book in ur library or try to find e-book for it..it is an amazing book and worth to hAVE A LOOK INTO..

ABDURAHMAN

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook