Plastic-Eating Worms Could Inspire Waste-Degrading Tools

• Thread starter Beelzebub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tools
In summary, the larvae of the greater wax moth can consume and degrade polyethylene at an impressive rate, which could help reduce pollution.
Beelzebub
Wax moth larvae can consume and degrade polyethylene at an impressive rate

Researchers in Spain and England recently found that the larvae of the greater wax moth can efficiently degrade polyethylene, which accounts for 40 percent of plastics. The team left 100 wax worms on a commercial polyethylene shopping bag for 12 hours, and the worms consumed and degraded about 92 milligrams, or roughly 3 percent, of it. To confirm that the larvae’s chewing alone was not responsible for the polyethylene breakdown, the researchers ground some grubs into a paste and applied it to plastic films. Fourteen hours later the films had lost 13 percent of their mass—presumably broken down by enzymes from the worms’ stomachs.

E6884874-E861-4C40-8F3033CBE2DD43C1.jpg

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/plastic-eating-worms-could-inspire-waste-degrading-tools/

Likes BillTre
Biology news on Phys.org
Beelzebub said:
To confirm that the larvae’s chewing alone was not responsible for the polyethylene breakdown, the researchers ground some grubs into a paste and applied it to plastic films. Fourteen hours later the films had lost 13 percent of their mass—presumably broken down by enzymes from the worms’ stomachs.

I'm never taking part in one of their studies... ?:)

Likes Beelzebub
I would consider trying to grow the catepillers, to eat plastic shopping bags, if the bags weren't already eliminated from the Eugene area where I live.

Wonder if they would be an invasive species.

Likes Beelzebub
BillTre said:
I would consider trying to grow the catepillers, to eat plastic shopping bags, if the bags weren't already eliminated from the Eugene area where I live.

Wonder if they would be an invasive species.

Well, I hope they would since apparently, we would need a whole lot of them to combat the plastic waste problem. But at least it gives some hope. :)

These creatures, the larvae of the greater wax moth (Galleria mellonella), can devour polyethylene, which along with the closely related polypropylene is the main type of plastic found in waste. But you’d need an awful lot of them to make a significant dent on the plastic waste problem. The UK alone discards almost 2m tonnes of this stuff every year. At the rate of consumption reported by the researchers – one worm gets through about two milligrams of plastic a day – you’d need billions of caterpillars eating constantly all year round to deal with that.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/25/plastic-eating-bugs-wax-moth-caterpillars-bee

1. How do plastic-eating worms work?

Plastic-eating worms, also known as wax worms, have a special enzyme in their gut that allows them to break down plastic. This enzyme breaks down the chemical bonds in plastic, making it easier for the worms to digest.

2. Can plastic-eating worms really help with plastic pollution?

Yes, plastic-eating worms have shown promising results in breaking down plastic waste. Scientists are currently studying ways to use these worms to help with plastic pollution by creating tools that mimic their enzyme.

3. Are plastic-eating worms safe for the environment?

Plastic-eating worms are considered safe for the environment as they are found naturally in bee colonies and are not harmful to other organisms. However, it is important to note that introducing any new species to an ecosystem can have unforeseen consequences, so further research is needed before implementing them on a large scale.

4. Can these worms completely eliminate plastic waste?

No, plastic-eating worms are not a complete solution to plastic pollution. While they can break down some types of plastic, they are not able to break down all types and cannot keep up with the rate at which plastic is being produced and discarded. Other solutions and efforts to reduce plastic consumption are still necessary.

5. What other potential uses do plastic-eating worms have?

Besides helping with plastic pollution, plastic-eating worms have also been studied for their potential use in biodegradable packaging and as a source of alternative proteins for animal feed. Further research is needed to fully explore these potential uses.

Back