PLEASE ANSWER BY TONIGHT : What is an experiment to test drag force ?

In summary, the conversation is about designing two experiments to test the effect of speed and texture/shape on drag force using a tub, water, fishing line, a spring scale, fishing weights, and random household objects. The speaker is asking for advice and tips on how to conduct the experiments and write a formal lab report. They also mention that this is due soon and they are feeling clueless. The expert suggests playing around with different materials and achieving neutral buoyancy, but the speaker is still unsure of how to set up the experiment to obtain results.
brittchick081
PLEASE ANSWER BY TONIGHT!: What is an experiment to test drag force...?

...using only a tub about 14inx10inx7in, water, fishing line, a spring scale, fishing weights, and random household objects?

we're suppose to design two experiments: one to test the effect of speed on drag force, and one to test if texture/shape influence drag force.

we also have to write a formal lab report on it, so if you have any tips, share the knowledge!

and please help! this is my test over this chapter, and i am clueless!

Physics news on Phys.org

Given the items at your disposal, how can you measure force? Force on what (a specific household object)? What material do you want to use as the dragging medium?

The best suggestion that I can give: play around with stuff.

well, i mean... i tried using a simple washer, tying the fishing weights to it, and dragging it thru the tub to get a reading on my spring scale. nothing works, and no one in my class knows what to do either. and this is due by friday and we only get tomorrow to work on it in class.

I would go for neutral buoyancy.

i have no idea what that is. i need some ideas on how to set this up to obtain results.

What is an experiment to test drag force?

An experiment to test drag force involves using a wind tunnel and a model object, such as a car or airplane, to measure the drag force acting on the object at different speeds.

What equipment is needed for an experiment on drag force?

The equipment needed for an experiment on drag force includes a wind tunnel, a model object, force sensors, and an anemometer to measure wind speed.

How can you calculate drag force in an experiment?

Drag force can be calculated by multiplying the drag coefficient of the object by the density of the fluid (air) and the square of the velocity of the object. This equation is known as the drag equation.

What factors affect drag force?

The factors that affect drag force include the shape and size of the object, the speed of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the roughness of the object's surface.

What are some real-life applications of studying drag force?

Understanding drag force is important for designing efficient vehicles, such as airplanes and cars, as well as for optimizing the performance of sports equipment, such as cycling helmets and swimsuits. It is also crucial for predicting the effects of weather conditions on air and water transportation.