1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PLEASE ANSWER BY TONIGHT : What is an experiment to test drag force ?

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    PLEASE ANSWER BY TONIGHT!!: What is an experiment to test drag force....?

...using only a tub about 14inx10inx7in, water, fishing line, a spring scale, fishing weights, and random household objects?

we're suppose to design two experiments: one to test the effect of speed on drag force, and one to test if texture/shape influence drag force.

we also have to write a formal lab report on it, so if you have any tips, share the knowledge!!

and please help!! this is my test over this chapter, and i am clueless!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Re: PLEASE ANSWER BY TONIGHT!!: What is an experiment to test drag force....?

Given the items at your disposal, how can you measure force? Force on what (a specific household object)? What material do you want to use as the dragging medium?

The best suggestion that I can give: play around with stuff.

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3

well, i mean.... i tried using a simple washer, tying the fishing weights to it, and dragging it thru the tub to get a reading on my spring scale. nothing works, and no one in my class knows what to do either. and this is due by friday and we only get tomorrow to work on it in class.

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

turin

Homework Helper

I would go for neutral buoyancy.

6. Oct 27, 2009 #5

i have no idea what that is. i need some ideas on how to set this up to obtain results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook