imconfused Messages 6 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Mar 18, 2010 #1 Calculate the % hydrolysis for 1 M Na2CO3 if [OH-] = 5.4x10^-(4)
Borek Mentor Messages 29,213 Reaction score 4,643 Mar 18, 2010 #2 Done. Ignoring template and not showing any effort will lead you nowhere.
imconfused Messages 6 Reaction score 0 Mar 18, 2010 #3 Borek said: Done. Ignoring template and not showing any effort will lead you nowhere. Huh? But I asked my question. This is the only information I was given. No effort? But I'm stuck! I'm showing some effort by asking for some help here on ONE problem!
Borek said: Done. Ignoring template and not showing any effort will lead you nowhere. Huh? But I asked my question. This is the only information I was given. No effort? But I'm stuck! I'm showing some effort by asking for some help here on ONE problem!
imconfused Messages 6 Reaction score 0 Mar 18, 2010 #4 Homework Statement Calculate the % hydrolysis for 1 M Na2CO3 if [OH-] = 5.4x10^-(4). Not sure what to put for the other fields.
Homework Statement Calculate the % hydrolysis for 1 M Na2CO3 if [OH-] = 5.4x10^-(4). Not sure what to put for the other fields.
Borek Mentor Messages 29,213 Reaction score 4,643 Mar 18, 2010 #5 Do you know any reaction equations? What is hydrolysis? Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
imconfused Messages 6 Reaction score 0 Mar 18, 2010 #6 Calculate the theoretical % hydrolysis for 1 M solution of Na2CO3 Homework Statement Calculate the theoretical % hydrolysis for 1 M solution of Na2CO3 Homework Equations CO3^(2-) + 2H2O -> H2CO3 + 2OH^(-1) or CO3^(2-) + H2O -> HCO3^(-1) + OH^(-1) HCO3^(-1) + H2O -> H2CO3 + OH^(-1) Chart values for the Ka1 and Ka2 of H2CO3: Ka1 = 4.3x10^(-7) Ka2 = 5.6x10^(-11) The Attempt at a Solution Kb1 = {[HCO3^(-1)][OH^(-1)]}/[CO3^(-2)] = Kw/Ka2 = [10^(-14)]/[5.6x10^(-11) = 1.78x10^(-4) Kb2 = {[H2CO3][OH^(-1)]}/[HCO3^(-1)] = Kw/Ka1 = [10^(-14)]/[4.3x10^(-7)] = 2.32x10^(-8)
Calculate the theoretical % hydrolysis for 1 M solution of Na2CO3 Homework Statement Calculate the theoretical % hydrolysis for 1 M solution of Na2CO3 Homework Equations CO3^(2-) + 2H2O -> H2CO3 + 2OH^(-1) or CO3^(2-) + H2O -> HCO3^(-1) + OH^(-1) HCO3^(-1) + H2O -> H2CO3 + OH^(-1) Chart values for the Ka1 and Ka2 of H2CO3: Ka1 = 4.3x10^(-7) Ka2 = 5.6x10^(-11) The Attempt at a Solution Kb1 = {[HCO3^(-1)][OH^(-1)]}/[CO3^(-2)] = Kw/Ka2 = [10^(-14)]/[5.6x10^(-11) = 1.78x10^(-4) Kb2 = {[H2CO3][OH^(-1)]}/[HCO3^(-1)] = Kw/Ka1 = [10^(-14)]/[4.3x10^(-7)] = 2.32x10^(-8)
Redbelly98 Staff Emeritus Science Advisor Homework Helper Insights Author Messages 12,179 Reaction score 186 Mar 18, 2010 #7 Moderator's note: merged two threads.
Borek Mentor Messages 29,213 Reaction score 4,643 Mar 19, 2010 #8 imconfused said: CO3^(2-) + H2O -> HCO3^(-1) + OH^(-1) You know equilibrium concentration of OH- - can you use it to calculate concentration of HCO3-? How is hydrolysis percentage defined? Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
imconfused said: CO3^(2-) + H2O -> HCO3^(-1) + OH^(-1) You know equilibrium concentration of OH- - can you use it to calculate concentration of HCO3-? How is hydrolysis percentage defined?