Please help me interpret my genetic intellgence results

• Thread starter alexmahone
  • Start date
In summary, genetic intelligence tests that claim to predict intelligence based on genetics are not very accurate or reliable. The brain is complex and influenced by many factors, and currently, the genetics of intelligence is not well understood. These tests have very little predictive power and should be approached with caution.
alexmahone
TL;DR Summary
How is 'cognitive ability' related to 'reading and spelling ability' and 'mathematical ability'?
Please help me interpret these genetic intelligence results. How can I have acute 'reading and spelling ability', acute 'mathematical ability' and less strong 'cognitive ability'?

intelligence.JPG

Biology news on Phys.org
Where did you get this from? Unless it was from a professional psychologist, psychiatrist, or someone else in a closely related field then these results are almost entirely meaningless.

Edit: I just realized this was 'genetic' intelligence results. I've never heard of this before and I would be extremely wary of any test that tries to link genetics with intelligence. The brain is enormously complex and is far more than the sum of its genes. Education, upbringing, the environment, and sheer luck have a great deal to do with how your brain grows and develops.

Likes Laroxe, Ryan_m_b, BillTre and 1 other person
Currently, the genetics of intelligence is not very well understood, and genetic "tests" of intelligence have very little predictive power:
When geneticists use the word prediction, they give it a different meaning than the rest of us do. We usually think of predictions as accurate forecasts for particular situations. At a carnival, you might encounter a man who promises to predict your weight simply by looking you over. If you weighed, say, 130 pounds, and he guessed 132, you might be impressed. If he guessed 232, you’d expect to walk away with a giant teddy bear.

Geneticists are a lot more forgiving about predictions. When they try to predict a trait from a set of genes, their prediction may be dead on, or it may be no better than random. Or, as is almost always the case, it is somewhere in between.

Genes that predict the variation in a trait perfectly in a group of people have a predictive power of 100 percent. If they’re no better than what you’d get from blind guesses, their power is zero. The Amsterdam team tested their 52 genes on thousands of people and concluded that the genes have a predictive power of nearly 5 percent. Their predictions are less than random, but if you used them to predict individual people’s intelligence, you’d give away a whole lot of teddy bears.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science...elligence-tests-are-next-to-worthless/561392/

Likes Ryan_m_b, BillTre, alexmahone and 3 others

1. What do my genetic intelligence results mean?

The results of a genetic intelligence test indicate your genetic predisposition to certain cognitive abilities and potential for intellectual development. However, it is important to note that these results are not a definitive measure of your intelligence and should not be used as the sole basis for evaluating your intelligence.

2. Can my genetic intelligence results change over time?

While your genetic makeup remains constant throughout your life, your environmental factors and experiences can have an impact on your cognitive abilities and potential for intellectual development. Therefore, your genetic intelligence results may change slightly over time.

3. How accurate are genetic intelligence tests?

The accuracy of genetic intelligence tests can vary depending on the specific test and the methodology used. It is important to note that these tests are not a perfect measure of intelligence and should be interpreted with caution.

4. Can my genetic intelligence results predict my future success?

Genetic intelligence tests are not meant to be used as a predictor of future success. While they may provide insight into your potential for intellectual development, there are many other factors that can influence success, such as education, motivation, and opportunities.

5. Is there a way to improve my genetic intelligence results?

While your genetic makeup plays a role in your cognitive abilities, it is not the only determining factor. Environmental factors, such as education and experiences, can also have a significant impact on your intellectual development. Therefore, it is possible to improve your cognitive abilities through various means, such as education, training, and practice.