1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me on this problem

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    I was doing my homework for my physics class, but now I am stuck at two questions and don't know what to do. :( And I don't know where to start. If someone can get me started and little tips on how-to-solve this question, that'd be awesome! :D

If someone can help me solve this problem, I'd be really greatful! :) And I am glad that I found such a wonderful forum.

Thank you. :)
    ------
    An elevator starts from rest with a constant upward acceleration and moves 1min the first 1.9 s. A passenger in the elevator is holding a 4.4 kg bundle at the end of a vertical cord. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m=s2 :What is the tension in the cord as the elevator accelerates? Answer in units of N.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you figure out how fast the elevator is accelerating?

4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    Use
    [tex] s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] to find the constant upward acceleration,a.
    Use Newton's 2nd Law to find the tension :
    T-mg=ma
    T=m(a+g)
    Upward direction is choosen to be positive, downward direction to be negative.

5. Oct 12, 2004 #4
    Thank you both of you for answering the question. :)

I actually tried couple of approaches and I discovered Leong's method is the best one and did it. :)

Thanks again for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?