Please help: switching to math, good or bad

• Thread starter Mustapha13
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is considering switching from Biology to Math for their undergraduate studies at a Canadian university. They are concerned about the strength of the math department at their school compared to others, and whether it will affect their chances in graduate school. They are also advised to consider if math is truly their passion before making the switch. The speaker also mentions the possibility of supplementing their education through independent study or programs like Budapest Semesters in Mathematics. Finally, there is a brief exchange about the speaker's university, but they do not disclose which one.
Mustapha13
well I'm a Biology freshman at a Canadian University.
I'm thinking of switching to math for next year, since i am really good at it.
However my school is world-renowned for biology, and has a small/weak math departement.

will students from stronger math universities be at at an advantage over me in grad school?
Does the undergrad university make a diffrence, or is it just the student's intelligence?

Please respond so that i can decide and make the proper arrangment.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you like math, you should do math. If after deciding to bio, 10 years down the road you decide that you want to switch to do math, then your road will be more difficult.

I'm a Junior, at a small university that is in no way known for it's math department. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. For example, a large part of the department knows me, independent study, and research with a professor are both pretty accessible, however, the course selection is fairly low, we only have one course in algebra, and our second course in analysis is only offered once every 2 years. There are ways to make up for things like this, for example, you could try to do an independent study (probably an excellent way to get a good letter of recommendation), or attend something like Budapest Semesters in Mathematics, which offers a wide range of upper level math classes, to supplement your curriculum.

I think that if you have a very solid background in what is expected an undergraduate would take (Algebra, Linear Algebra, Analysis, Complex Analysis, Topology, Number Theory, Probability, ...), do some research, do well on the GREs (If Canadian schools look at them, I'm not familiar), earn good grades, and get good letters of recommendation, then you shouldn't be at a significant disadvantage as compared to someone coming from an institution with a better name brand, with the possible exception if the person is coming from some place like an Ivy.

That being said, have you done any real, proofs-based math courses? Most math is quite different than what you'll see in Calculus classes and in High School, and before you up and switch, you might want to make sure it's what you really want to pursue.

are you at guelph? I thought that you'd be at U of T, but they don't particularly have a "small and weak" math department; at least I don't think so

wisvuze said:
are you at guelph? I thought that you'd be at U of T, but they don't particularly have a "small and weak" math department; at least I don't think so

I'm sorry but i'd rather not say, are you familiar with the math level of Canadian universities?

I understand the importance of making informed decisions when it comes to choosing a field of study. It is great that you have recognized your strengths in math and are considering switching to it as your major. However, I would advise you to carefully consider all factors before making a decision.

Firstly, it is important to understand that both biology and math are valuable fields of study and have their own unique set of skills and applications. So, switching to math does not necessarily mean that you are giving up on biology completely. You can still incorporate your knowledge and skills in biology into your math studies, and vice versa.

Secondly, while it is true that your current university may have a stronger reputation in biology, it is important to also consider the quality and opportunities available in the math department. You may want to research the courses offered, faculty expertise, and research opportunities in the math department at your university. If you find that the math department may not meet your academic needs and goals, then it may be worth considering transferring to a university with a stronger math department.

In terms of grad school, the reputation of your undergraduate university can play a role, but it is not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider the individual's academic achievements, research experience, and letters of recommendation. So, if you excel in math and have strong research experience, it may not matter as much which university you attended for your undergraduate degree.

Ultimately, the most important factor is your own interest and passion for the subject. If you are truly passionate about math and see yourself pursuing a career in that field, then it may be a good decision to switch. However, if you are unsure and are only considering switching because you are good at it, I would suggest exploring the field more before making a decision.

I hope this helps in your decision-making process. It is important to carefully weigh all factors and make a decision that aligns with your interests and goals. Best of luck to you in your academic journey.

1. Is switching to math a good decision for me?

The answer to this question depends on your personal interests and goals. If you enjoy math and have a strong aptitude for it, then switching to math may be a good choice. Additionally, if you are pursuing a career or degree that requires a strong background in math, then switching may also be beneficial. It's important to carefully weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

2. Will I be able to catch up if I switch to math?

This will also depend on your current level of math knowledge and the program you are switching into. If you have a solid foundation in math and are willing to put in the effort, it is definitely possible to catch up. Many universities and programs also offer support services for students who may need extra help.

3. Will switching to math be too difficult for me?

Math can be challenging for some people, but with hard work and dedication, it is definitely achievable. It's important to have a positive attitude and seek help when needed. Don't be afraid to ask questions and practice regularly to improve your skills.

4. Can switching to math benefit my future career?

Yes, math is a highly sought-after skill in many industries. Jobs in fields such as finance, engineering, and data analysis often require a strong background in math. By switching to math, you may have more opportunities for career advancement and higher salaries in the future.

5. What can I do to prepare for switching to math?

Before making the switch, it's important to familiarize yourself with the math curriculum and topics you will be learning. You can also review basic math concepts and practice problems to brush up on your skills. It may also be helpful to speak with a math advisor or current math students to get a better understanding of what to expect.