1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with finding all integers to an equation!

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    How can i find all integers to this equation?

I allready found just by tring that if x=y then its 6 and x=12 ,y=4 (x=4 and y=12)

I think that there are more, but how can i find all of them?

PS. the first task was: 1/x + 1/y = 1/3 and then i had to find all integers.

Thank you for your help!

Sorry for my bad english.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would write it in the form x=3*y/(y-3). For large values of y thats a little larger than 3 and not an integer. So once you tried a y value large enough that 3*y/(y-3)<4, there aren't any larger solutions. Then I'd just try all y values less than that to see if x is also an integer. Do you need negative solutions as well?
  4. Jan 10, 2009 #3
    [tex]\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y} = \frac{1}{3} \Rightarrow 3x + 3y = xy \Rightarrow xy - 3x - 3y + 9 = 9 \Rightarrow (x-3)(y-3) = 9[/tex].

The number 9 has three positive divisors: 1, 3, and 9. You just have to solve each of the systems of equations to get all the solutions.
  5. Jan 10, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very clever.
  6. Jan 11, 2009 #5
    Ok, thanks Dick and Snipez90 for your help!

I have one question. xy-3x-3y+9=9 > (x-3)(y-3) How did you factor that one?

No, but thanks for asking.

EDIT:OH, No need for help on this question any more. Just figured it out how to do that :D
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  7. Jan 11, 2009 #6
    By inspection I would imagine, you have a cross term xy so you know that if you will have a product of linear factors it will be of the form (x-alpha)*(y-beta) [to give you that xy term] and then the choices for alpha and beta are obvious once you write out the product.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?