Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please reply the moment ur eyes read this

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1
    how long do eggs [hen's eggs] take to boil? I'm boiling 4 eggs.. fully immersed in water and on high gas.. and since i've already started it.. i need to know how much time will it take to get hard boiled.

please reply as quick as u can.. i'll be refreshing this page now :D

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2
    Longer.

You can't burn them that I know of, so keep them for over 5 minutes and you'll be set.

4. Mar 15, 2008 #3
    thanks for the quick reply... i'm currently 7 minutes in.. think i'll take a look...

5. Mar 15, 2008 #4
    My eyes can't read! *cries*

6. Mar 15, 2008 #5
    :rofl:

greatest
    thread
    ever

anyway. sorry to inform you, but, from the getgo, you're doing it ALL (that's right: italicized, capitalized, emboldened, and underlined) wrong .

Proper way to make hard boiled eggs people:

1) boil water
    2) turn off all heat
    3) drop egg in with a spoon as to not crack it
    3b) (if room is not warm) cover with lid
    4) go watch tv
    5) return when water is tepid
    6) enjoy your first real hard boiled egg. it should not actually be hard like a rock!, it should be nice and soft.

for more tips on eggs (the only thing, other than my famous mystery what-did-I-find-in-the-fridge chili, that I can cook properly), and the various ways to make them properly, I am here to help.

yes. some of you may know your physics and your maths and you biologies etc etc etc., but I know what truly matters: eggs.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  7. Mar 15, 2008 #6
    O no no no no no no... you poor man.

8. Mar 15, 2008 #7
    lol.. :D

lol 2 u 2 :D :D

neways.. i'm boiling eggs on this stupid heater.. water didn't come to boil in the first 7 minutes.. i took them off just now.. but they are too hot for me to peel. I'll report the post-peel status soon.

EDIT: everything went of nice.. and for the first time i'm having real hard-boiled eggs. Earlier, everytime i used to break the shell.. yellow liquid would ooze out of the boiled albumen... but this time it was perfect.. thanks to everybody :D

9. Mar 15, 2008 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The flame height has no effect on how long it takes to boil an egg. Water boils at 100C, no matter how much fire you put under it.

10. Mar 15, 2008 #9
    Soft-boiled eggs are much better.

11. Mar 15, 2008 #10
    Yeah, but if you can't make hard-boiled eggs, you shouldn't attempt soft-boiled ones. There's a real art to those.

You want the yolk to be liquid, but the egg white to be solid. That takes a lot of skill and experience.

12. Mar 15, 2008 #11
    Yes, since my grandmother passed away, I haven't eaten properly cooked ones.

13. Mar 15, 2008 #12
    seriously?? that's what i end up making all the time. The only skill in that is the peeling part. The shell is so stuck to the albumen.. it's a real pain to peel it off properly...

14. Mar 15, 2008 #13
    Try peeling off your eggs under lukewarm water, it's much easier.

15. Mar 15, 2008 #14
    Depending on the intensity of the flame (surrounding the supposed pot your cooking them with)

LOL

Einstienear

16. Mar 15, 2008 #15
    If PF adds and eggs sciences subforum, I'll gladly donate my time as an eggs sciences advisor.

With the right tutoring, Rohanprabhu, I can help you through soft boiled eggs, fried eggs with the soft boil yellow thing to dip bread into... someday I might even be able to coach you through poached egg theory, though it is a field in which only very few achieve moving past the theory and truly mastering.

17. Mar 15, 2008 #16
    I participated in the construction of one of the early linear egg accelerators, the Yolkotron. But it was highly eggsperimental.

18. Mar 15, 2008 #17
    :rofl: you are a privileged man! I can only imagine what it must have been like during the early days when we were just first discovering about yolk displacement and super bacon-strip theory, frying-pan curvature... back when everything was new and everything was possible.

19. Mar 15, 2008 #18
    Ah, those were heady days. I was working with some very fertile scientific minds. The things we did... you should see my photo albumin from back then. But that was ova and finished decades ago.

20. Mar 15, 2008 #19
    u never know what threads can go to on PF...

21. Mar 15, 2008 #20
    Right, great thread, amazing eggspressions, It may eggtually qualify for a GD classic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?