Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pneumatic actuators - locking mechanism?

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    The problem: I was planning on using pneumatic linear actuators for a deflector - to direct the material from a conveyor, correctly down the chute - and i needed the deflector to be adjustable. The deflector itself is made out of chromium carbide clad plate, it will weigh atleast 100 kilos or more. Can i directly link a pneumatic cylinder to the deflector plate, or would the external downward force create too many problems? Also - is there a self locking cylinder that will allow the cylinder to remain in place once moved to a certain position.

I will also be mounting a second pnuematic cylinder, that will be hinged in order for me to get rotation of the deflector.

Any help in this area would be appreciated, cheers :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2
    I do not believe you can safely or accurately hold pneumatics at less than full travel (i.e., fully extended or fully retracted). A physical latch/lock would be needed to hold position at partial extension. Another option is air-over-hydraulic. It may not be any less complicated than fitting some kind of mechanical device, but it can offer more operational flexibility.

A very helpful reference I use is the website for Hydraulics & Pneumatics (industry magazine). Here is their overview on combination air/hydraulic devices:
    http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/eBooks/Article/True/67385/

4. Dec 16, 2011 #3
    you can use pneumatic cylinder for this application and you can have achieve self locking by using mid position locked direction control valve

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook