Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson distribution with efficiency problem

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I have a problem with determining the probability distribution function of the number n of detector counts in a given time t. I am assuming the events follow exponential distribution ε(t,λ) = λexp(-λt). Now if that was everything it would simply be a Poisson distribution, however, what I need to acount for is the detector efficiency α (0-1) and I can't think of a way how to do it. Could anyone give me a hint?

cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2
    Is the efficiency a known constant? If so, then you just have a multiplicative constant because P(detection/occurrence) = constant. Then the number of occurrences and the corresponding rate are scaled by the efficiency. If it's not a known constant then I would think that it must be determined. If the efficiency is a function of n and t then I would have to think about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook