Polar bear attacks tourists, one dead, four injured

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
256bits
Gold Member
I find it disgusting that people make this sort of inane comment without bothering to check the facts, but there you go.

They are used by top UK universities like Imperial College to organize scientific field trips for relevant courses. For example I know a Mech Eng undergrad who went on an IC/BSES trip to Nepal, to study the capability of the indigenous people's building structures to resist earthquakes. He learned quite a lot about practical dynamics testing, not to mention project management skills in negotiating with the "village elders" to get permission to stick accelerometers all over their houses before giving them a good shaking!

From interviews with members on other BSES expeditions on UK news today, the participants get a full training program (including weapons training) before they set out. We are not talking about a bunch of unprepared kiddies on holiday here.

BSES has taken down their website except for a front page right now - which is probably understandable, but a pity, since inanity tends to feed on ignorance.
http://www.bses.org.uk/
Granted, i was off on a tangent there.

But what I am saying is that in this particlular case, especially with 2 polar bears being seen in close proximity, the trip should have been cancelled, or the camp removed to another location. That is where I stress that someone dropped the ball and I doubt if anyone will take responsibility. One can only conclude that the rules to follow in a situation encountered such as this were most likely vague or non-existant or not followed. Will that change so that if any family sends their child on a trip, they can be sure they will arrive back home safely.

By the way, inanity that tends to feed on ignorance is probably the reason this happened in the first place. You can chide all you want in any smug way possible. Surelythe family of the dead teenager will feel comforted.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
lisab:
A bear intent upon feeding can hardly be regarded as criminally negligent of its own welfare.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
lisab:
A bear intent upon feeding can hardly be regarded as criminally negligent of its own welfare.
:wink: