Pole Vaulting Kinematics Problem

In summary, the pole-vaulter leaves the ground with an upward speed of 9.5 m/s and reaches a height of 2.0 m above the launch point. The time required to reach this height is 0.2 seconds. However, there are two possible answers for this question due to the fact that the pole-vaulter must come down after going up. Depending on the kinematic equation used, one may get both solutions or just one.
physicsnobrain

Homework Statement

A pole-vaulter leaves the ground with an upward speed of 9.5 m/s.
(a) How fast is she going when she is 2.0 m above the launch point?
(b) How long is required to reach this height?
(c) Why are there two answers to (b)?

The Attempt at a Solution

Question A and B I don't have a problem with. I worked out A to be 7.1 m/s (2 sig digs) and B to be 0.2 seconds (2 sig digs).

However it is question C I am not understanding. I feel tempted to write "because I can write the answer in seconds or I can write it in minutes". But I feel this is a silly answer, therefore I need help.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsnobrain said:
However it is question C I am not understanding. I feel tempted to write "because I can write the answer in seconds or I can write it in minutes". But I feel this is a silly answer, therefore I need help.
When the pole vaulter goes up, she must come down.

CAF123 said:
When the pole vaulter goes up, she must come down.

So there could be one answer that measures her going up and one answer that measures her going up then coming down?

physicsnobrain said:
So there could be one answer that measures her going up and one answer that measures her going up then coming down?
Yes, depending on what kinematic equation you use you will either get the two solutions automatically or not.

In regards to question C, there are two answers to (b) because the question is asking for the time required to reach a specific height, which can be calculated using two different methods. The first method is to use the initial upward velocity of 9.5 m/s and the acceleration due to gravity to calculate the time it takes to reach a height of 2.0 m. The second method is to use the distance formula, where the distance traveled is 2.0 m, the initial velocity is 9.5 m/s, and the acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity. Both methods will give you the same answer, but they use different equations and concepts. This is why there are two answers to (b). It is important to understand and be able to use both methods in physics problem solving.

Q1: What is the definition of pole vaulting kinematics problem?

The pole vaulting kinematics problem involves analyzing the motion of a pole vaulter as they use a pole to clear a bar. It includes calculating the athlete's speed, acceleration, and trajectory during the jump.

Q2: What factors affect the pole vaulting kinematics problem?

The main factors that affect pole vaulting kinematics are the athlete's height, weight, and strength, as well as the length and flexibility of the pole. Other factors that can impact the problem include wind speed and direction, runway surface, and grip on the pole.

Q3: How is the takeoff angle calculated in pole vaulting kinematics?

The takeoff angle in pole vaulting kinematics is calculated using the athlete's initial velocity, takeoff height, and the height of the bar. This can be done using trigonometry and the laws of motion.

Q4: What are the most common equations used in solving pole vaulting kinematics problems?

The most common equations used in solving pole vaulting kinematics problems are the equations of motion, which include displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Additionally, trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine are used to calculate angles and distances.

Q5: How can pole vaulting kinematics be applied in real-life situations?

The principles of pole vaulting kinematics can be applied in real-life situations to improve the performance of pole vaulters. Coaches and athletes can use this knowledge to analyze and improve technique, select the appropriate pole for an athlete's abilities, and adjust training programs to optimize performance. Additionally, understanding the kinematics of pole vaulting can help in designing and testing new equipment for the sport.