1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poligraph tests test resistance or conductance?

1. Jan 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question: "What does a polygraph test measure; skin resistance or conductance?"

To me this is two sides of the same coin and it seems it must be measuring both.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that the person is acting as a resistor so I wrote down resistance, but the answer is conductance. I could just memorise the answer but I would like to understand why.

I'm a psychology student so please speak slowly and without assuming any basic knowledge.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You are correct, it is technically two sides of the same coin. Resistance and conductance are related as R = 1/G, where R is resistance (measured in units of Ohms) and G is conductance measured in units of Siemens, and 1 Siemen is 1/(1 Ohm).

In fields outside of pure physics or electronics, there is sometimes a tendency to make the "correct" answer one that is learned by wrote from the textbook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook