Political and High-Tech Thrillers

• Thread starter Khatti
  • Start date
In summary: I also have a full-length novel in progress.No, I have not completed any projects.No, I have not participated in any writers' workshops.No, I do not have an editor.
Khatti
I want to write a book that is both a political thriller and a High-Tech thriller. The thing is I'm not overly familiar with either genre. Anyone out there have a favorite in either (or both) categories? I already have a copy of Jurassic Park and The Andromeda Strain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Khatti said:
I want to write a book that is both a political thriller and a High-Tech thriller. The thing is I'm not overly familiar with either genre.

This does not sound like a recipe for success.

You seem to have started a number of projects. Have you completed any? Are you participating in any writers' workshops? Do you have an editor? These will help direct advice you get into the most useful directions.

Vanadium 50 said:
This does not sound like a recipe for success.

You seem to have started a number of projects. Have you completed any? Are you participating in any writers' workshops? Do you have an editor? These will help direct advice you get into the most useful directions.

The problem I've got with this thing is that I can't see how it ends--other than the generic, the Bad Guys lose and the Good Guys win--and I have no idea who the protagonist is. I know who the antagonist is--I've known him for ten years. The only model I have at the moment is Shakespeare tragedies, because in those works the dude who finally does in the villain sort of comes out of nowhere in the second or third act. I was hoping some people had favorite political thrillers to suggest because it seems like a good idea to look at works that deal almost exclusively with the protagonist.

Vanadium 50 said:
Have you completed any?

I do have a novelette published on the Kindle Service, but it's not science fiction or fantasy.

1. What makes a thriller novel a "political" thriller?

A political thriller is a subgenre of thriller novels that focuses on political themes, often involving government or international affairs. These stories typically involve high-stakes conflicts and intrigue, as well as characters who are involved in the political world in some way. Political thrillers can also deal with issues such as corruption, espionage, and conspiracy.

2. How are high-tech elements incorporated into a thriller novel?

In high-tech thrillers, technology plays a central role in the plot. This can include topics such as cybercrime, artificial intelligence, or advanced weaponry. These elements are often used to enhance the tension and suspense in the story, as well as to showcase the potential dangers and consequences of technological advancements.

3. What sets a political and high-tech thriller apart from other thrillers?

Political and high-tech thrillers combine the intense action and suspense of traditional thrillers with a focus on political and technological themes. These stories often involve complex plots and a diverse cast of characters, including politicians, government agents, and scientists. They also tend to address current or futuristic societal issues, making them both entertaining and thought-provoking.

4. Are there any real-life events or figures that have influenced political and high-tech thrillers?

Yes, many political and high-tech thrillers draw inspiration from real-life events and figures. For example, the popular TV show "Homeland" is based on the experiences of a former CIA officer, and the novel "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown was inspired by historical and religious conspiracies. Additionally, advancements in technology, such as the rise of social media and cyber warfare, have also influenced the genre.

5. What makes political and high-tech thrillers appealing to readers?

Political and high-tech thrillers offer a unique blend of action, suspense, and intellectual stimulation. They often tackle complex and relevant issues, making readers think critically about the world around them. They also provide a thrilling escape from reality and can be a great source of entertainment for those interested in politics, technology, and current events.